Opinion on this SS M43?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M43

Without ironclad provenance, I believe that even advanced SS collectors will agree that many, if not most, 2-piece insignia SS M-43's have insignia that was added post-war. Sometimes it IS almost impossible to tell when the insignia was applied, especially if the cap was soaked in water, and allowed to dry. When the cap dries out, the insignia sinks into the wool, giving the impression that it's been on there forever. I believe most SS M-43 collectors would be willing to accept this reality IF the cap was actually an SS cap, as opposed to a converted Heer M43. Talk about minefields!! These are your average SS M-43 owners at any given time of the day: OR-R-R-RRR...............Go 'Dachau" young man - Go "Dachau"

Comment

I told the seller that I had no interest. I would only buy it to resell. And that's just not the kind of thing that I really enjoy.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Blair

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
        Without ironclad provenance, I believe that even advanced SS collectors will agree that many, if not most, 2-piece insignia SS M-43's have insignia that was added post-war. Sometimes it IS almost impossible to tell when the insignia was applied, especially if the cap was soaked in water, and allowed to dry. When the cap dries out, the insignia sinks into the wool, giving the impression that it's been on there forever. I believe most SS M-43 collectors would be willing to accept this reality IF the cap was actually an SS cap, as opposed to a converted Heer M43. Talk about minefields!! These are your average SS M-43 owners at any given time of the day: OR-R-R-RRR...............Go 'Dachau" young man - Go "Dachau"
        This is very true, unless ofcourse, your SS M43 looks something like this with factory applied insignia.
        Attached Files

Comment

I agree David - nice example! Notice the similarity here. Similar button as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

M-43

My reaction is moderate. My aging mother has a beautiful home in Pennsylvania. I will trade the house and all the furniture for those 2 caps, and you guys can share the house and be collector roommates. I'll wrestle the deed from her somehow, and besides, she's freeloaded there long enough. May sound brutal, but at some point you just have to ask yourself, "Am I a serious collector, or not?!!" Please PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X