Fake SS dot camo material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake SS dot camo material

Does any one recall when the first reproduction dot material showed up on the market either smooth ot twill type? Also the first repro jackets made of this or original surplus material/ The late 60s, 70s, 80s? Surely someone must recall. Thanks!

First

The first fake camo I saw was in 1975 that was put together by reenactors for reenactors. It was actually Oak A and they did it on canvas with magic markers!!! Later a company out of Illinois called Rocket Surplus started making it and creating smocks and M44s. They have been closed for about 20 years though.

Marty
    I love the beach.

Comment

That is a good question, back in the early 80's I remember getting a list on it there were fully dressed mannequins with ss Dot camouflage, this was the first time I can recall of seeing fake DOT.

Here is a story, about 5 or 6 years ago at a show in Germany, I was talking to a dealer, do not remember his name but he showed me some pictures of 200 mattresses from somewhere in east Germany all in a court yard, I think it was either a children's home or a hospital, I also cannot remember if he had bought them or some of them or a friend had, but the mattresses were all made up of DOT pattern ss camouflage, wish now I had asked his name and got copies of the photos, Now I wonder what this material was made into !!!!!!!!

cheers,
      Gary

PS I think I have a sample of the "bud o'toole" dot pattern somewhere I will see if i can find it, somewhere also i have some copies of the "Point" I am sure there were add's in there as well, might take a while as I do not know where they are at, but will look when I get time

Comment

hi Guys, I had my repro HBT dot pattern jacket and trousers in 1983.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

i had some of bud otoole's catalogs with the sample camo material and i think
          the time frame that he was selling his items was around 1984?

tony

Comment

Originally posted by tony james
            i had some of bud otoole's catalogs with the sample camo material and i think
            the time frame that he was selling his items was around 1984?
            tony
            Same here, Tony! I think it was late '83 or very early '84. He sent me
            some 1 inch wide strips of oak, dot, and palm clump. I don't know what
            I did with them. Very course material if I remember correctly.

Comment

Thank you for your posts! This is very interesting, we can establish from these posts that at least in the early eighties it started showing up. Which if correct would mean that anything with a good provence before that is going to be authentic unless assembled from surplus original material. I recall in the mid seventies there were dot uniforms around and no one was worried about fakes in that area.I bought one in about 1975 for $400.00 was was considered a strong price at the time. The camouflage items were not as popular then as now , there was more interest in daggers and medals. Does anyone recall fake dot items before 1980?

Comment

Some people have told me they have been reproduced since the war. I was wondering when they actually took on a GOOD fake appearance. the set I'm working on could not have been acquired after 70 or so due to collector health probs. Im hoping that can narrow down the fake probability. It would really be nice to put a time frame on fakes.

Erik

Comment

Late 1970s Janke was making and selling dot pattern at 300 Marks a set, roughly $100.00 at the exchange rate then / his stuff was at that time the number 1 copy available and many went on to become "original" in spite of the mistakes in construction, wrong base material and incorrect printing of the pattern.
                  Bud's camo was never even close when compared to original.
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by david w
                    Late 1970s Janke was making and selling dot pattern at 300 Marks a set, roughly $100.00 at the exchange rate then / his stuff was at that time the number 1 copy available and many went on to become "original" in spite of the mistakes in construction, wrong base material and incorrect printing of the pattern.
                    Bud's camo was never even close when compared to original.
                    David
                    Was the Janke stuff at that time complete with correct markings inside? Was it the twill or smooth material? Do you recall if they were also making the mittens?
                    Establishing timelines on the appearance different types of fakes could be helpful .

Comment

This M44 Dot repro with trousers is from the mid 80`s.

Peter Wiking
                      Attached Files

Comment

More:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Last:
                          Attached Files

Comment

When I started out collecting,in about '75,the only fake cammo stuff you saw was in reality Austrian.The Austrian army used a 'Type1' smock type jacket and the one I specifically remember was in autumn pattern material with the lace-up chest,the pattern was similar to 'blurred edge' but was more faint,almost washed out,in appearance.I don't ever remember seeing a fake 'dot' (or 'pea pattern' as we used to call it) before I took my haetus in '83-4.You have to remember that we didn't have the same exposure to these things back then though,so because we didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't out there.

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

Janke's original markings included standard uniform size but no SS-BW stamp / his markings are very different from known originals

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X