No announcement yet.

Unusual SS Flak/Panzer Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics Gary thanks for sharing! It is my firm belief that any SS tunic,shirt etc left the factory with the arm eagle only. And thus it was up to the individual to apply the correct insignia, These pics seem to prove this some have it and some dont, very rare pics indeed, Thanks, Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Gary,

A propos of adoption...I am as poor as a church mouse - but had nefarious designs on your collection! Thank you again - and I think you are right about "the long shot". The cuff buttons are very distinctive.

Glenn,

The sleeve eagle is hand sewn to the shirt - I suspect that these left then factory with no insignia. All the photos that I have seen show a wide mixture of insignia: collar tabs with boards, boards alone or nothing at all.

Mike

Comment

SS Flak SEt

I have this exact set..however MINUS the pants....the jacket it thoroughly mint unissued...and has factory applied eagle...shoulderloops for boards and buttons..it is the earlier version with the clear scallopped and pleated pockets...
        I wish I had the pants......I can not upload pics yet....but if anyone would like to see the jacket simply email me at scotthess41@hotmail.com It is to my undestanding to be featuredin one of Beavers next books.....the MOST notable picture of this jacket being worn besides Ribbentrops son is that of non other than Micheal Wittmann in the schiffer book "Tiger Ace"...there are several prominent photos where due to the unique conffiguration of the large buttons on the cuffs and the shirt and the hidden closure buttons it is unmistakable that he is wearing this shirt.....with full rank insignia.....the most excllent shot is entitled "wittmann after spendig the night in a barn."Also..it is quite apparant from my jacket that the eagle is factory applied..if you have ever personally held one of these sets in your hands you will be amazed at how lightweight they are....they are very very lightweight hbt......and its amazing how they could actually survive out in the rigors of field use for that long of time........page 263 I if your counting pics.shows Wittmann in this jacket.....as doeshim sitting down going over map boards on the very last shot of pictures......Also see jacket and pants configuration on page219 of Panzer TRuppe by Ryton Publications and page 191 upper right corner of same book.. you can clearly see wittmann is wearing the lightweight hbt jacket...also some shots of it being worn by some tiger crews in book "Tiger one on the western Front.....shows "fey" and two others standing with the jackets........
        Last edited by ingsoc39; 02-02-2004, 01:40 AM.

Comment

SS Flak SEt

I also have thie "set".....but unfortunately just the jacket..its is throughly unissued with factory board and loops for boards and buttons.......it it is also the ealier version featuring the scalloped pocket flaps and pleated pocket.....it is a beautiful shirt.....perhaps the MOST notable shot of this shirt being worn besiedes that in normandy by ribbentrops son is none other than Michael Wittmann..in schiffers book "tiger ace" ..there are several distinct and clear photos of him wearing it wilth full rank patches.....its is unmistakable and I would highly recommend getting this book......mypiece is supposed to be in Beavers next work.......lets hope so! I cant upload but can send you a copy of it..at scotthess41@hotmail.com In the famous shot of Wittmann wearing the leather jacket I also believe it is THIS very shirt that he is wearing underneath the leather jacket..as he is wearing a second shirt field grey shirt underneath the flak jacket..the flak jacket had armpit vents and was meant to be worn over shirt.....I have also recently seeen a period photo of tiger crews being briefed right before Kursk wearing this jacket/pants......

Comment

Ps thanks for the pics

P.s thanks for the incredible pics of the flak crews of this set being worn....I've never before seen them...they are great!@

Comment

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the great info - you are right about the Wittman photos (had forgotten about them). It seems that this uniform saw greater use by panzer crews than had been thought. Regards,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Just to add more evidence I have 2 private photos of soldiers from the 1 Batterie DAS REICH Flak Abteilung in Russia. In both pics the crew are wearing the Flak overalls with sleeve eagle and in one case the epaulettes. Ill try to get them scanned

Cheers

Mark

UOTE=Mike C]Hi Scott,

Thanks for the great info - you are right about the Wittman photos (had forgotten about them). It seems that this uniform saw greater use by panzer crews than had been thought. Regards,

Mike[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi Mark,

I would love to see these images. Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X