Cutting-off Insignia Habit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting-off Insignia Habit Question

I have a question about the habit of allied soldiers to cut off insignias from German uniforms, has this habit been recorded on the German side too? Did the Germans cut off patches from American or allied jackets to be kept as souvenir?
    So far I've only seen German insignia on bits of cloth but never the other way round...

good question???

Originally posted by Krieg777 View Post
    I have a question about the habit of allied soldiers to cut off insignias from German uniforms, has this habit been recorded on the German side too? Did the Germans cut off patches from American or allied jackets to be kept as souvenir?
    So far I've only seen German insignia on bits of cloth but never the other way round...
    ,,to the Victor goes the spoils.
    My opinion, The true beauty of our hobby is the fact that we own these things. The objects, to me are secondary.
    Cheers

Comment

It is a risky activity for any soldier still in a combat zone to collect items from killed or captured enemy troops. If he should later end up captured himself and be found in possession of such items, he would not be warmly received by his captors. Therefore, while I am sure there were souvenir collectors among the Axis forces, I belive they would have wisely discarded/destroyed such items as defeat neared. Likewise, any items which they had previously brought/sent home would likely have been disposed of as quickly as possible after the war ended. I am sure no German soldier or his family would want to be discovered with a house full of Allied "scalps" by occupation forces.

Comment

very rare situation for German soldier to take souvenirs,ofcoure many are taken,like a polish 1939 saber found in german tank in tunesia(1943),and some others as well,but not in the great number as GI has taken.

Comment

Thank you for the insight, really interesting points of view. I think also that german soldier specially toward the end of the war were more keen on taking food, weapons, warm garments other than fancy items from their prisoners or dead enemies.

Comment

The closest I've come is a Soldbuch that had an armored triangle in the back fold of the book. Who know when it arrived there. Its posted in that section of the forum.

Comment

dhcoleterracina, interesting SB with US patch ... hard to tell about the "marriage" of the two but it's the first time I see a German taken souvenir, even if the story behind it is hard to confirm. Thanks!

Comment

,,clean up.

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
                It is a risky activity for any soldier still in a combat zone to collect items from killed or captured enemy troops. If he should later end up captured himself and be found in possession of such items, he would not be warmly received by his captors. Therefore, while I am sure there were souvenir collectors among the Axis forces, I belive they would have wisely discarded/destroyed such items as defeat neared. Likewise, any items which they had previously brought/sent home would likely have been disposed of as quickly as possible after the war ended. I am sure no German soldier or his family would want to be discovered with a house full of Allied "scalps" by occupation forces.
                ,,I bet the shiny bullion patches lost their luster after a day or two on corpses. I imagine a lot or most even, were confiscated from prisoners of war or traded for concessions. AFTER the dust settled.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X