A story I almost believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A story I almost believe

Got this off a Vet who said he took it off of a SS Officer...He said he took the TK off of the Officers hat and stuck it through the holster flap.. Who knows for sure but it's a nice rig..

Comment

Comment

Comment

Would be nice to see the back of the skull, if you do try to take
          it off be very carefull, as the prongs can break off.
          Regards
          Mametz

Comment

I think you should not try to remove the skull because you can brake the pins. Post clear pics of it and the experts here will tell you. I looks like a 499 skull to me from the photo.

Thats a nice find! I like Walther PP myself. Nice marked holster as well.

Cheers,
            Felix

Comment

the skull is an obvious 499/41 in Cupal with the short prongs, so you don't need to take it off.
              I can hardly believe that a officer would run with a skull on a holster. The skull has been put later IMO.

Comment

I am almost certain it´s an original zimmermann skull, nice find!

Comment

Decorating captured holsters with metal insignia was actually a fairly common practice among some American GI's.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bwanek1; 01-10-2010, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Here is one I got off eBay a long time ago.
                    Attached Files

Comment

bwank1, nice post! I would have thought it was done later also (still could have been) and didn't realize the GI's did that quite a bit. Thanks for the info! Mike.

I would the skull where it is!

Comment

Yep, I recall seeing another ppk holster that was decorated with all cap eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by 1corps View Post
                          bwank1, nice post! I would have thought it was done later also (still could have been) and didn't realize the GI's did that quite a bit. Thanks for the info! Mike.

I would the skull where it is!
                          In WWI, the practice was usually done using German leather belts. Thses would be decorated with both captured German insignia and allied insignia, which were traded. For some reason, these came to be known as hate belts. If you do a search for "hate belt" (in quotes) on Google, you will see plenty of examples.

I agree that these items are great pieces of history just as they are and should not be disassembled. Unfortunately, the one I found on eBay back in the day had already been taken apart by the owner, who was selling the pieces individually.

Comment

I'd be about 99% ( thats higher than anything else in this hobby!) that the vet put the skull on the holster. I've seen dozens if not hundreds of holsters over the decades with absolute vet placed insignia or signs that it was removed...by this I mean direct and indirect vet...but all clearly added by the vet.

I would really like to know the serial number of the PP, you can PM me if you would not want to post it. The reason is that I have a vet acquired PP in a holster that is the twin of yours as is the PP as best that I can see. I the full written account of the vet as to how he captured the PP from the SS officer and other items from that SS officer as well.

I would be very interested if the serial number on yours is fairly close to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
                              In WWI, the practice was usually done using German leather belts. Thses would be decorated with both captured German insignia and allied insignia, which were traded. For some reason, these came to be known as hate belts. If you do a search for "hate belt" (in quotes) on Google, you will see plenty of examples.

I agree that these items are great pieces of history just as they are and should not be disassembled. Unfortunately, the one I found on eBay back in the day had already been taken apart by the owner, who was selling the pieces individually.

I agree. I used to know a french vet that made his ww2 campaign wearing a heer EM/NCO belft (including a P08 with holster)with any medal or insignia liberated from german soldiers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X