Variant SS Totenkopf Tab??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variant SS Totenkopf Tab??

I've had the M40 pattern enlisted ranks' embroidered collar patch shown below for some time, but have never seen another exactly like it. It varies from the more common styles - note in particular the larger eyes and the shape of the nose. It almost seems to be a transition between the standard embroidered type and the M43 Bevo design. Has anyone else seen this style before??

Here's the front:
    Attached Files

And the back:
    Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Tony Barto; 04-09-2004, 09:08 PM.
      Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony.
        I've never seen another like it. There's a couple of photos of Georg Bochmann wearing what appears to be a similar tab, but they're not totally clear and I'm sometimes a bit wary of these 'propaganda' pix because they were so often retouched for the newspapers at the time.
        Best regards,
        Robin.

Comment

TK Tab .....

A much clearer photo Robin and a nice tab too. David

Comment

Last edited by Tony Barto; 04-09-2004, 07:03 AM.
            Best regards,

Tony

Comment

I thought it would be better to just ad my question to an existing thread instead of always start a new one. What about this item?? Looks ok for my novice eyes but I better ask.

Marc
              Attached Files

Comment

back
                Attached Files

Comment

Marc.

A nice original.

Regards,

Robin.

Comment

Thank you Robin!

Marc

Comment

Robin,
                      I have seen a couple like yours in the past, and to be honest it is not one I would collect but that is down to personnel choice I am not saying it is real or fake its just a piece I would not buy just like other items that are original and again as we say not my cup of tea.

marc,
                      your tab looks ok from the pictures to me, is the backing doeskin?
                      cheers,
                      Gary
                      Last edited by Gary Wood; 04-18-2004, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Robin,
                        This is the 3rd time in 2 1/2 weeks you have posted this Tk. This Tk does not have the characteristic of any other Tk of its type. It has it's own features and does not have the features one would look for on a Tk of this type. It stand alone.
                        Regards
                        John
                        Last edited by John; 04-19-2004, 04:49 PM.

Comment

John.

I didn't post this again.

Marc brought it to the top, for a good reason.

Tony's post from the last time has now been edited out, (why??) but he previously said he'd seen a few others like it in the past. There was also some comment about "If ever Robin decides to part with it........etc" which I'm sure everyone read at the time.

So why do these kinds of remarks get edited out??

I must admit that my faith in the integrity of this forum is beginning to become slightly strained.

In any case, I didn't repost this as I've no need to. I have no doubts at all about the patch.

Regards,

Robin.
                          Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 04-11-2004, 06:38 AM.

Comment

For the record, I did in fact state that I have seen a few others like yours and also did state that if you decided to part with it I'd like a crack at it. With that said, when you approached me saying that you'd sell me the tab at a substantial sum of money I had asked you for an inspection period. You refused my request for an inspection period (which by the way I and many others think is a reasonable request) for no other reason than to say you thought you were doing me a "favor" by selling me the tab in the first place. I’m sorry but when I’m offered an item I take into consideration the item and not the person selling it. When a request for inspection is denied this immediately in my mind calls into question the legitimacy of the item and certainly raises my suspicions as it would anyone else, again irrespective of who you are. After your refusal to allow me the inspection period plus having received additional information from other collectors I reconsidered my position on your tab and withdrew my original response in the thread. This is after all a forum with an exchange of ideas and opinions and certainly opinions change.

Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Tony.

I don't want to get into a slanging match here, but for the record this is my recollection of the sequence of events:

1. I posted the tab back in January for comments.
                              2. You said you liked it and if ever I wanted to sell it you'd be interested.
                              3. You then posted a 'wants' advert asking collectors for TK tabs.
                              4. You then appealed again for TK tabs. You seemed to be getting nowhere with your appeal.
                              5. My tab was posted in an unrelated thread and you again said you wanted to buy it.
                              6. I then offered it to you for what I consider a reasonable sum, having posted good quality pictures of it.
                              7. You then asked if I would cover postage/insurance costs.
                              8. I said I would cover courier costs for the badge if you did the same with your payment.
                              9. You then asked me to post it to you on approval for an inspection, apparently prior to sending payment. I can see the reason for inspection with any item, but I would expect payment to be sent first. In any case, the pix seemed good to me for the purposes of seeing the badge initially.
                              10. After more than a week, during which I heard no more from you, you then said you would rather have another TK vertical patch I'd posted, and asked how much that would be.
                              11. Becoming a bit tired of getting the runaround, I then decided to keep the patch. As I said, I'm perfectly happy to keep it. I have many other TK patches, so this was genuinely a favour to you as I saw it. You had posted appeals for a TK patch and you had said twice that you like that one.

As I said, I don't want to get into a slanging match here, but that's what happened, as I'm sure you will recall. I fail to see why you edited your posts, and I hope you have the decency not to edit this one.

Best regards,

Robin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X