SS Wool Armband VERY Unusual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Wool Armband VERY Unusual

Does anyone know what the rose pink and black piping is around the edges of this General SS wool armband?

Attached Files

Border
    Attached Files

Comment

Inside edge
      Attached Files

Comment

Scan
        Attached Files

Comment

The piping/stripes look synthetic to me...have you tested them?

Comment

Piped Armband

From Angolia’s Cloth Insignia of the SS, 2nd Edition, 1989, Page 133, this is piped in black/white.

Charles Betz
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to do my best to describe the strands. The alternating rose pink/black stripes are actually very, very, fine individual strands of what feels like silk.
              I did do a burn test on a loose strand and it also burnt like a natural fibre and did not melt.

I had my wife look at the piping with a textile loupe (she specializes in antique fabrics) and she also believes that the pink and black strands are fine silk thread.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by C. Betz View Post
                From Angolia’s Cloth Insignia of the SS, 2nd Edition, 1989, Page 133, this is piped in black/white.

Charles Betz
                Interesting but I wonder if this particular armband, because it does not have the black stripped borders, might be an early SS armband and that the black/white piping might be an early designation of SS service?

Comment

I am guessing but it could be the colors of a region or City, cords like this are used for regional Schutzenfest awards etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                    I am guessing but it could be the colors of a region or City, cords like this are used for regional Schutzenfest awards etc.
                    That is VERY interesting information. I never knew that about Schutzenfest awards etc. It makes logical sence.

Whatever the piping signifies it's very striking.

I'm looking forward to more thoughts.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

I don't mean it was for a Schutzenfest etc. But cities have colors they use, maybe that or some sort of designation within that SS group?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                        I don't mean it was for a Schutzenfest etc. But cities have colors they use, maybe that or some sort of designation within that SS group?
                        I understand exactly what you meant.

Comment

My thoughts are possibly this is a very SS kampfbinde which has the twisted dual color piping which reflects which Gausturme the wearer was attached to. We must remember that at the black and red collar piping was used with the 1929 SA insignia, the SS was subserviant to their local SA gruppe.

Comment

Looks like NSB piping...related???...see here...
                            http://www.home.versatel.nl/gijsen5/Uniform.htm

Comment

Piping

Yeah....NSB???? I would remove it and have a nice armband.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X