• Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss

cropped
    Attached Files

Comment

ss

Here is a family shot to show the size of the mini and stickpin!!
      Attached Files

Comment

A close up of my stickpin...
        Attached Files

Comment

...and while we're at it, here is my 4 year set with the 9mm device on a ribbon bar...
          Attached Files

Comment

...close up...
            Attached Files

Comment

WOW J C Gray! I see you have pulled out the "goods"!! That is an outstanding group you have with the ribbon bar device!

Comment

...and not forgetting the two different makers of the 12 year with runic device on the ribbon bar...
                Attached Files

Comment

I can't stand it...LOVE 'em

Comment

Some details of the 4 place ribbon bar with prague castle?

Comment

Originally posted by pzb14 View Post
                      Some details of the 4 place ribbon bar with prague castle?
                      It has been posted many times before on the forum, but I am cautious of posting any close up pics of the Sigrunen device. When I first posted it way back in 2004, it was one of only 4 known original examples, but 3 more have come to light since, that I know of.

Comment

Ok thanks - there will be much out there, but many people, old collectors, don't use internet or don't like to speak English.

Comment

John, that 4 year mini as a device is most definately possible before May 1941, but what's the story with a WH LS in conjunction with it?

cheers
                          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. View Post
                            John, that 4 year mini as a device is most definately possible before May 1941, but what's the story with a WH LS in conjunction with it?

cheers
                            Peter
                            When the SS-Service Award was first instituted in 1938, any service time in the Wehrmacht & "Alten Heer" (also service time in the Party, Police etc.) would have counted towards the reckoning of SS-Dienstzeit eg. someone could have served for 4 years in the Armed Forces before transferring to the SS-VT, where he would also serve 4 years and, therefore, have been eligible for the 8 year SS award under the original criteria.
                            In 1940, however, the regulations were changed, so that any previous army service time would not be credited towards the accumulation of SS-Dienstzeit. This meant that, for example, if someone served for 4 years in the army followed by 4 years in the SS-VT, by 1940 he would only have qualified for the 4 year SS-Dienstauszeichnung under the revised criteria. Assuming that he had already been awarded the Heer 4 year medal, he would have been permitted to wear both on a medal & ribbon bar with the Wehrmacht award taking precedence over the SS one.
                            The original 1938 Statute of the SS Service Award restricted its bestowal on members of the SS-Verfügungstruppen, SS-Totenkopfverbänden & SS-Junkerschulen, but the change in regulations of 1940 allowed its bestowal on all SS members, provided that they met the criteria for that particular award. This new criteria was as follows:- All SS-N.C.O.s & E.M. were eligible to receive the 4th Grade award on completion of 4 years SS related service time, whether they intended to retire or re-enlist. All SS Officers, N.C.O.s & E.M. were eligible for the 3rd. Grade award on completion of 8 years SS related service time, provided that they had served a minimum of 4 years in the SS-V.T. or SS-T.V. (Party membership also still counted towards service time reckoning, but not Police service). The criteria for the bestowal of the 1st. & 2nd. Grades of the SS-Service Awards was also changed in 1940 ie. bestowal was to cease until further notice.

Sources: Reichsgesetzblatt, 1938; Verordnungsblatt der Waffen-SS, 1940; Orden und Ehrenzeichen im Dritten Reich, 1939, 1940 & 1941; Die Auszeichnungen des Großdeutschen Reichs, 1943.

I would be most interested to hear any information from period sources which would be either contrary or supplementary to the above.

Comment

John, thanks for the heads up on the change of regulations.

cheers
                              Peter

Comment

nice photos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X