SS NCO tab on e-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
    Sorry friend, you are wrong on this one... The original tabs are not made of synthetic material and will stay black under a blacklight. The black in all of the fakes will turn a brownish color under the blacklight. Unless someone got a hold of the correct pre 1950 material to make these tabs, they will turn brown..
    If you believe in your fairy tales please continue to do so.
    No more advice from my side.

Good luck with your collection of original militaria.

Cheers,
    Felix

Comment

I agree with you Felix; the black light is a so-so tool at best. It had better utility years ago, but the replicas of this type of tab usually pass burn and black light test with no trouble.

I appreciate your comments about the construction and materials - s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
        If you believe in your fairy tales please continue to do so.
        No more advice from my side.

Good luck with your collection of original militaria.

Cheers,
        Felix

Let me understand you here, if you say so it's a fact but if I say somthing different it's a fairy tail?...you might be a little too full of yourself for your own good, Keep on buying tabs that turn brown under a blacklight....you can have my share

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
          I agree with you Felix; the black light is a so-so tool at best. It had better utility years ago, but the replicas of this type of tab usually pass burn and black light test with no trouble.

I appreciate your comments about the construction and materials - s/f Robert

There is no "so-so" about it, if the black on a wool tab turns brown under blacklight it is not pre 1945. If it stays black then at least the meterial is correct and now you can move on to evaluate the rest of the tab....

Comment

I think we're all talking past each other here. No one is saying that a tab that changes color under black light shouldn't be viewed with suspicion (at least I don't think we are). The vast majority of the time, these pieces are bad.

However, some of these pieces are good, for any number of reasons (foreign manufacture, washed post-war, etc). Very much the exception, but it can happen.

My point is that the fakers have advanced to the point where blacklighting is only of marginal value on more recent, higher end pieces. Their materials don't glow. They burn correctly. But they are bad.

Some believe in blacklighting, others have less confidence. In the end, it's another tool to consider when trying to determine authenticity, IMO.

s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
              I think we're all talking past each other here. No one is saying that a tab that changes color under black light shouldn't be viewed with suspicion (at least I don't think we are). The vast majority of the time, these pieces are bad.

However, some of these pieces are good, for any number of reasons (foreign manufacture, washed post-war, etc). Very much the exception, but it can happen.

My point is that the fakers have advanced to the point where blacklighting is only of marginal value on more recent, higher end pieces. Their materials don't glow. They burn correctly. But they are bad.

Some believe in blacklighting, others have less confidence. In the end, it's another tool to consider when trying to determine authenticity, IMO.

s/f Robert

I understand what you are saying, but I have never seen a black wool tab that turns brown under blacklight be good, and I have never seen one that stay black under a blacklight be bad...The construction is very important also, but if the meterial is bad thats all I need to see.

Comment

Are there any period photos that can be shown that exhibit these angled runes for refrerence, to perhaps help in analysis ?

Comment

No

Nobody wants to get into this, but I would not touch that Tab. Hate to make enemies, but I ain't got no Friends anyway !!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Nobody wants to get into this, but I would not touch that Tab. Hate to make enemies, but I ain't got no Friends anyway !!

I am not to keen on it either, but with that guaranty if you wanted it, it would be worth a look in person...

Comment

Hate to make enemies, but I ain't got no Friends anyway !![/quote]

Thats for damn sure . Negaroh

Comment

If Robert gives this guarantee, I see no problem to a potential buyer. If one does want to buy this, and get it in the hands of an respected collector to determine authenticity, and it turns out to be bad, no harm, no foul, right?

At this point, though I am just not sure.

Also, I am glad everyone is being so nice and respectful about this. It had the potential to get ugly, but all parties seem to be getting along! Great!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X