SS Officer Converted M43 Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officer Converted M43 Tunic

This is a very battle worn SS 3rd Panzer M43. The story I know of it, it was picked up by a US officer stationed at a German POW camp in Iowa. The Stabsscharführer was promoted to Untersturmführer. He must of field converted it to reflect his new grade of rank. All the sewing is field done. The lining is a silk rayon. The pockets have been removed. Under the pocket flaps is also silk rayon. The original collar was cut off and an officer bottle green collar added. Collar tabs and sleeve eagle are of enlisted grade. This was not uncommon for officers to wear less expensive enlisted insignia in the field.

Tunic is very worn. Some damage could of been storage in a duffle bag in a hot Iowa attic but this is one of those items that has been ther, done that.

Wanted to share this with the forum.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Interesting tunic and story.
                Prior to its conversion it started life as an enlisted 6 button wehrmacht (Heer-Army) tunic,
                which has been extensively (period) repaired, with replacement pockets even.
                Its actually an M42 pattern tunic, based on the pointed pocket flaps of the pockets
                (which are replacements...) TheM43 pattern has straight flaps, plus added M36 type collar of course!
                The panzer (or panzer abwehr) officers shoulderboards are also Heer pattern or course,
                and occasionally seen used in the Waffen SS. I like salty pieces like this!
                Last edited by NickG; 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

no

looks likes ugly post war frankenstein to me

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post
                    And I agree, look at the sleeve eagle, how much rust it's been in contact with, yet there's none on the surrounding sleeve ?

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post

Comment

Rust

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                        And I agree, look at the sleeve eagle, how much rust it's been in contact with, yet there's none on the surrounding sleeve ?

Ian.
                        I am not disagreeing here, but the rust could have come from the lower 2 metal buttons. They have just a small surface area. If the tunic was balled up in a duffle bag and the buttons made contact with just the eagle, it is possible.
                        Also, it seems like everything is evenly matched for the general condition of the piece. Is there anything that is really obvious making this a Frankenstein?? I don't see it. Help me out here.
                        Last edited by PMan; 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Tunic

The shoulderboards seem to have been spared from the moths and that is unusual?

Comment

Moths

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
                            The shoulderboards seem to have been spared from the moths and that is unusual?
                            Actually, it is not unusual at all. I have a friend with a tunic that is badly mothed, but the dark green collar is spared. It appears that moths repell from certain fabric dyes. Another example are visor hats. I have seen many where only the piping is mothed. Odd but true.
                            Peter

Comment

Originally posted by mmurray306 View Post
                              This is a very battle worn SS 3rd Panzer M43. The story I know of it, it was picked up by a US officer stationed at a German POW camp in Iowa. The Stabsscharführer was promoted to Untersturmführer. He must of field converted it to reflect his new grade of rank. All the sewing is field done. The lining is a silk rayon. The pockets have been removed. Under the pocket flaps is also silk rayon. The original collar was cut off and an officer bottle green collar added. Collar tabs and sleeve eagle are of enlisted grade. This was not uncommon for officers to wear less expensive enlisted insignia in the field.

Tunic is very worn. Some damage could of been storage in a duffle bag in a hot Iowa attic but this is one of those items that has been ther, done that.

Wanted to share this with the forum.
                              I hope you did not pay a great deal for this tunic, I agree with the others about this being a post-war frankenstein. You stated that "it was picked up by a US officer stationed at a German POW camp in Iowa", I never heard of any TK division prisoners being taken by the US Army and sent to Iowa, let alone in full regalia. I think someone might have told you some 'tall tales'. Just my opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X