Your thoughts about a trade idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts about a trade idea

Hey guys, I'm pondering of trying to trade a salty "been there" SS officers sword with portapee (spelling). The sheath is not marked SS, but this was the way it was brought home. What do you feel would be an even trade. Only looking to trade for an SS tunic. Remember I'm just thinking about it, I haven't decided if I'm going to do this or not. So let's hear what would be a fair trade.

If I could post a pic I would but I'm having issues with my computer and this site right now. I could email pics to someone if they would be so kind as to help me out.

Matt
    Last edited by Kreager; 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM.

Hi,

Kreager ask me to post his pictures from the sword, here they are. Imo a very nice one by the way....... but better pictures needed!
    Attached Files

Comment

last one.....good luck for the trade.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Don't trade it. keep it.

I wouldn't trade it for any uniform, well maybe LAH officer, but that is about it, IMHO.

Comment

Good luck finding an unmessed with SS tunic...

Sadly, they are much rarer than SS swords.
          http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jerry D View Post
            Good luck finding an unmessed with SS tunic...

Sadly, they are much rarer than SS swords.
            I'm definitely ok with restored officers M36's, because I know untouched is worth way more then a sword.

Comment

I'd say than rather being worth more, untouched tunics are like white flies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Krieg777 View Post
                I'd say than rather being worth more, untouched tunics are like white flies ...
                OK, OK, OK Good Lord. Did I mention anything about an untouched tunic?

Comment

What value does a restored tunic have you have to ask? Is it the sum of the parts? If that is the case you have to consider the value of the sword vs the value of the "parts" tunic. The condition of the sword is lacking in the blade area it appears yet I think it would still outweigh that of a restored tunic.

Best,

J

Comment

First, you have to ask yourself why you collect, and answer honestly . . .

My advice would be to trade and collect for what you will enjoy the most . . . if you will enjoy the tunic more, go ahead and trade. If you think the sword will bring more pleasure, keep it. When you make your decision, don't look back . . .

Your answer doesn't necessarily have to be driven by which of the two choices will offer a better monetary reward down the road - how one views reward is truly all relative . . .

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                      First, you have to ask yourself why you collect, and answer honestly . . .

My advice would be to trade and collect for what you will enjoy the most . . . if you will enjoy the tunic more, go ahead and trade. If you think the sword will bring more pleasure, keep it. When you make your decision, don't look back . . .

Your answer doesn't necessarily have to be driven by which of the two choices will offer a better monetary reward down the road - how one views reward is truly all relative . . .
                      I agree totally. I'm asking because I collect tunics and visor caps. I'm not looking to get over on anyone, nor do I want to be taken advantage of. I'm not a sword or edge weapon collector, they really do nothing for me. So to me I'd rather let someone who collects these things enjoy it in their collection, and I can enjoy having a tunic, because that's something I enjoy.

As for finding something that is comparable and of equal value is my goal. I think a restored SS Tunic may be about the same value do you all agree? I could sell it out right (I've had many offers so far) but I don't want to have cash in hand becasue I don't want to have a chance in spending the money elsewhere (lack of self control). So this is why I started this thread. I would love to hear what you all think.

Matt

Comment

Matt,

I am not sure that the terms "salty" and "been there" apply to a sword like this. It was a dress uniform item, not a piece of field equipment (I do not believe any SS officer was swinging his saber while leading a cavalry charge in the Second World War). It's original owner would have kept it in immaculate condition while it was in his possession. The wear and grime on this piece was almost certainly the result of post-war mishandling and/or poor storage.

I mention this only because it speaks to value. To me, combat items which show signs of wartime use have greater value than mint pieces, because they were part of historical events. In the case of this dress uniform item, however, the wear greatly diminishes the value, because it was not the result of period use. Therefore, I suggest that you take that into consideration while evaluating trade/sale options.

Brad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X