Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maroon Handschar Fez (2 questions)

Hi everybody,
    I am new to this forum and I have found lots of interesting information here already. Here's what I wanted to ask: I have just recently acquired this maroon Handschar fez from the antique store in Sarajevo's old town. It has some major wear and tear, but for the bargain price I got, it was well worth it. After thoroughly researching information about it, I'm 98% positive it's authentic, but I would love to hear an opinion from all the experts here:

Now, my questions would pertain as to:
    1. What would be the best way to clean up this fez?
    2. What would be the best way to store and protect this hat from mothing/molding/any damage (I am planning to obtain a dehumidifier, obviously, but anything beyond that would be appreciated). Since I have some other delicate pre-WW2 clothes that I would love to display, I would be truly grateful to hear your guys' opinions. Glass casing, open to outside air, etc.?

Thank you in advance

Well, youve been had on the insingias I am very sorry to say.
    They are both reproductions. The fake ageing is another thing to notice.

/Felix

Comment

Felix already commented on the insignia and I just want to add that I don't feel comfortable with the fez itself at all.

I own a fair ammount of fezzes and studied them ( not saying I am an expert ) and I have never seen a string of black ropes on any fez. also the top of this fez isn't anything like the real deal.

Just my two cents

Comment

So the consensus is that I've been duped? Oh well, I should have known better and thankfully, I haven't paid that asshole too much.

In any event, my question # 2 still stands, that is, what's the best way of exhibiting shirts and decorative clothing art from 1920s and 1930s (this one I know to be authentic 100% - it comes straight from the family ). It's a couple of traditional jackets, shirts, and ornate stitch-works.
        Should I use the glass casing, leave it in the open or perhaps come up with something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
          Well, youve been had on the insingias I am very sorry to say.
          They are both reproductions. The fake ageing is another thing to notice.

/Felix
          I'm just curious, how can you guys tell if it's fake or not? Considering this item was strictly forbidden until 1990s, I can see it getting dirty and over-aged in some Bosnian damp village. Still, I trust your judgment, and no, I'm not in a denial stage (it was too good to be true anyway), but I would just like to hear more about the "process of elimination" (fake insignia, fake fez itself, etc.). Thank you in advance.

Comment

And a couple more photos:

Comment

I understand you. I have been in situations like yours as well.
              One thing that should stand out is the heavily soiled insignias versus the rest of the fez that merely has vague spots.
              That alone should cause concern when you ask yourself why. Even wear?
              Ever worn a piece of headgear for a long time to see that it is not only the front logo that does get dirty?
              Have you done a search on this forum for real fez'es? You will find many good examples because this is a rather common and not so expensive head gear. When, original, it is a nice and inexpensive piece of SS headgear.
              To sort out if the insignias are bad takes some more studies. The eagle is an easy call, but the skull, especially in this "artificially" worn condition, resembles and original from a distance. Lets say 2 or 3 meters.
              If you would have done search for original SS BeVo skulls you will not find a mathing one. The pattern on your fez is 100% fake. How do I know?
              So much studies....

To collect SS insignia very much means you got to learn how to crawl before you can walk. The whole field of collecting SS is so dangerous that you need to spend a lot of time, energy and passion to know that you have found the good stuff. If you are lazy and not interested you will end up with a lot of bad stuff. I can not stress the last two sentences enough. I am not ashamed to say that I have done many thousands of hours of studies. Have I learned my lessons? In most cases, yes! Am I an expert? No... My advice is to be more sceptic than you should, ask for good advice here before ANY purchase and do your homework until you feel sure enough how to dismiss the insignias on the Fez you bought.

I am sorry once again,
              Felix
              Last edited by Felix; 10-19-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Another Bosnian "original". Never buy the story..

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
                  I understand you. I have been in situations like yours as well.
                  One thing that should stand out is the heavily soiled insignias versus the rest of the fez that merely has vague spots.
                  That alone should cause concern when you ask yourself why. Even wear?
                  Ever worn a piece of headgear for a long time to see that it is not only the front logo that does get dirty?
                  Have you done a search on this forum for real fez'es? You will find many good examples because this is a rather common and not so expensive head gear. When, original, it is a nice and inexpensive piece of SS headgear.
                  To sort out if the insignias are bad takes some more studies. The eagle is an easy call, but the skull, especially in this "artificially" worn condition, resembles and original from a distance. Lets say 2 or 3 meters.
                  If you would have done search for original SS BeVo skulls you will not find a mathing one. The pattern on your fez is 100% fake. How do I know?
                  So much studies....

To collect SS insignia very much means you got to learn how to crawl before you can walk. The whole field of collecting SS is so dangerous that you need to spend a lot of time, energy and passion to know that you have found the good stuff. If you are lazy and not interested you will end up with a lot of bad stuff. I can not stress the last two sentences enough. I am not ashamed to say that I have done many thousands of hours of studies. Have I learned my lessons? In most cases, yes! Am I an expert? No... My advice is to be more sceptic than you should, ask for good advice here before ANY purchase and do your homework until you feel sure enough how to dismiss the insignias on the Fez you bought.

I am sorry once again,
                  Felix
                  Oh, no need to say sorry. Thank you for detailed explanation. I understand how complicated it is to learn all the little tidbits about specific stuff, hence my question. Thank you again.

Comment

Well, for starters, the insignia are not even woven, they are embroidered!

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
                      Well, for starters, the insignia are not even woven, they are embroidered!
                      maybe a bosnian grandma crocheted them

Comment

Originally posted by coloradocowboy View Post
                        maybe a bosnian grandma crocheted them
                        Nothing smart to add, sir? That was completely unnecessary.

I'd appreciate if the rest of the true experts here could give me their opinions on this fez and I am curious now (after thoroughly checking this website and seeing plethora of so-called Dachau fezzes) if all maroon fezzes appear only in "Dachau fashion" or if there are some variations as to the tip of the tassel, overall length, stitching, etc. ? Thanks in advance

Comment

Even if the fez itself were original (which it is not), why would it matter? It has been completely destroyed by the artificial aging done to try to mask the horrible fake insignia.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X