SS helmet cover marking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS helmet cover marking

I looking for information about a SS-helmet cover stamp.The first ss helmet cover I saw, a M40..platanen (i think), had a dark blue rectangular marking/stamp inside, with at least year of production. I think the stamp was placed in the back of the cover. This cover was one of many german WW2 items I saw during my initial service in the Norwegian army in the late 1980. During this service military items did'nt catch my interest, and since the cover did'nt fit my helmet...someone else took it. I also remember my mess-kit who had relativ big german eagle pressed into the aluminium. Maby this kit was a SS-kit? I like to see photo of this items (or just information), if someone have this in collection.

It may be that over the years you are confusing it with what could haven a norwegian stamp. I have never seen a stamp like what you describe. The only stamps I have seen are size stamps, most common are 1,2 and 3 but stamps indicating the liner size do exist as well.

Do a forum search, the various stamps have been discussed here before.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Yes, thats possible. All I remember var that the marking/stamp was rectangular and located in the back/neck of the helmetcover. Maby it was a "HÆREN" stamp?

I did'nt find any thread. Link?

Comment

As Fritz says, you can find size markings but the marking you are describing are definately not original. We had a lot of those covers in the Norwegian Army and especially at the Homeguard, I have handeled a lot back in the old days but never seen any Norwegian markings. I have seen smocks marked postwar with I.R. ( Infantry Regiment ) marking but never on helmetcovers.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Hi guys, are you telling me that the Norwegian army used old SS helmetcovers in the 80's? So not that long ago you guys had a lot of these around I guess. Are they still often found in norway today?

Do you have a picture with post war Norwegians using these covers?

Cheers,

Erik

Comment

Thanks tom! How do the IR-regimnet stamp look? I just found a pic ot this stam..and it have a "rectangular frame". Yes, there is a few photos of norwegian with helmet and SS-covers.

Yes its like tom says: not in the 80, but the army and HV (HV = home defence) did use german helmets in the 1950 -60 -70. Police also used helmets in 50-60.

BTW: The helmet cover I found was in a sidepocket of a military rucksack. I guess this was only luck..and unfortunately bad luck thats I did'nt see the value in it to take care of it..

Her is a photo a found on a other forum:

Last edited by maxmin todt; 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Eric, we used SS helmetcovers and smocks in huge quantaties after the war, the Army changed quickly to American variant of the M-43 fieldjacket/trouser in 1951. The First Norwegian postwar Paratrooper unit made their jumpjackets out of Oakleaf or Blurred Edge camoclothe in 1947-49. These jackets are extremely hard to find.

The Homeguard used smocks and covers up until 1970s, they hade huge piles of them. Most were destroyed but luckily some of us had connection and managed to save some items.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the info and the pictures! Incredible! Hard to imagine there were so many around and nobody cared at that time!
                Thank god you were able to save some of them from destruction. thanks, and regards,

Erik

Comment

Erik .
                  You must also remember the German camouflage uniform pieces were just army surplus from a beaten army .
                  To a common army man it was just splotchy cammo !!!!
                  He did not care where it came from or what value collectors like ourselfs in the future would put to it .
                  That being said ......
                  The photograph showing the cover in use is fantastic !!!
                  1st time I have ever seen it !!
                  Thanks for posting it .
                  owen

Comment

What a interesting thread
                    Luca
                    Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Tom did you was able to get some camos in old days?

Comment

A friend of my father was a district commander in the Homeguard, this was in the mid 1960s, I was with him on the depot one time and there were huge piles of SS smocks and SS helmetcovers. I could grab whatever I liked.

In early 1970s, he retired and brought with him a lot of the items.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Really interesting thread, what a picture!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X