Skulls with three prongs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skulls with three prongs

I guess most have us have seen the zinc SS cap skulls with the three prongs (one piece- the prongs are not separate pieces) .

Design and material wise, these seem to have a strong similarity to some later war army zinc cap eagles that were made with built-in edge-mounted prongs.

What is the overall opinion of the more experienced members of the SS insignia collecting community regarding this type of cap skull...

1) Late war variant..??

2) Late war variant but never used..??

3) Postwar fabrication..??

4) other..??

The word that sums these up is CONTENTIOUS ..... you'll not get a 100% definitive answer from anyone on here or any other forum ... at least until proof has been established that these were original IIIrd Reich manufacture.

The main issue to many collectors is that these were often found on the old Alteste fake visor caps ... however, a precident exists in that the 'shrugging' eagles found by the sheet at Dachau are also found on many questionable and indeed 100% fake tunics were proved to be original.

Ian

Comment

Put it this way, I've handled quite a few original SS visors but never one with the 3 holes needed for one of these types of skulls.

Comment

For me they are still fake until someone comes up with some tangible proof they are authentic.

So far all I've seen are a lot of "pie in the sky" type stories.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X