Overhoff TK help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overhoff TK help

I was checking out PvL's updates yesterday and saw this Overhoff TK for sale. As he has said, the pins have been repaired which has effected some details on the front but my first impression of the skull was that it's a copy. I contacted Peter and we're in discussion about it. I was 99% sure yesterday but after looking really hard again today, I'm not as sure anymore.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BenVK; 08-31-2009, 05:55 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Here's one that I bought many years ago. It was missing the pins so I had a go repairing it, not very well I admit and one pin has come off today as I was taking photos. I think that this is definitely a copy.
      Attached Files

Comment

Some side by side photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

Backs. The more I look at these, the more I think Peter's one is ok now.
          Attached Files

Comment

Good comparison pics, I'm no expert on these but the one PVL has for sale is of far better quality than the one you have repaired. The shape is much more convincing and the die striking is crisp with defined edges. Regards, Bill

Comment

Mine is cast, I'm convinced.

I think what threw me yesterday is that Peter's one has been worn down quite a bit on the front face. The rounded eyebrows especially started to ring alarm bells.

Another comparrison with a certain original. The eye sockets are for sure different.
              Attached Files

Comment

Peter's looks fine to me, other than the repair and that it looks like someone "cleaned up" the front, probably ruining the original finish/patina.

It also has a feature, which no faker has yet duplicated to my knowledge, but which, for obviousl reasons, I am not willing to openly discuss on the open forum.

Brad

Comment

Thanks Brad.

How many different front dies do we know Overhoff used? I'm just concentrating on zinc ones for the moment.

Again, another comparrison. The eye sockets are a closer match but the one on the right has a higher and more domed forehead.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I also thinks the first one is a cast, the rear is odd to me, the bprongs-boxes are not how they should be, the one on the right is an original.The eye sockets on the back tell everything
                    I had one of zink that I sold, but I still have one in Cupal with silver finish
                    (maybe i'll sold it to ;-) )
                    Last edited by carlsson1982; 09-08-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X