SS cap skull 2nd model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS cap skull 2nd model

Could I have your opinions on this, please?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post3447250

Thank you
    Greg

Crap

Comment

Its an undocumented, controversial pattern which some believe may have been Assmann's final type...

Comment

Ss

When all is said and done , if you look at the thread just devoted to this type of skull it is split 50/50 it is a toss up , however there is one thread devoted to an exact skull that was ground dug from a respectable source . That doesnt seal the deal but it does wiegh in well , also no one can proove if it is a fake or the origins of such a skull pattern . I dont want to beat this in the ground or get into a pissing match on weather the skull is good or bad , it just is what it is .,until someone can provide solid proof either way.

Comment

Originally posted by john mack View Post
          When all is said and done , if you look at the thread just devoted to this type of skull it is split 50/50 it is a toss up , however there is one thread devoted to an exact skull that was ground dug from a respectable source . That doesnt seal the deal but it does wiegh in well , also no one can proove if it is a fake or the origins of such a skull pattern . I dont want to beat this in the ground or get into a pissing match on weather the skull is good or bad , it just is what it is .,until someone can provide solid proof either way.
          I think that is a very fair summary. I have been on both sides of this argument at various points in my collecting career. The fairly recent claim that such a skull was recovered from a battlefield dig remains "unconfirmed," because of a lack of documentation beyond one individual's story. Nonetheless, it is, at least, intriguing, if not compelling. There is other anecdotal collecting evidence to both support and refute claims that these insignia are pre-1945. Until concrete evidence is uncovered, these will remain controversial. However, I suggest that no one write them off and discard them in the meantime. Personally, I would not buy one now, as it is still a gamble; those who do could be buying grossly underpriced originals or grossly overpriced fakes. Only time will tell.

Comment

I throw this to the debate.. twenty 25 years ago or so a collector bought from a ww2 veteran a waffen ss general officer visor with this skull and eagle style on it... The vet was absolutely astonished that my friend suggested the cap was post war made.. I know the guy came home in the summer of 1945.. From memory i m certain there was no Altestte label..everything looked as it should other than the metal insignia..I remember my friend couldnt sell it for 65.00 bucks.. Sure wish i had bought it..It was absolutely perfect and a ww2 bringback.. more to the debate.. Billbert

Comment

interesting thread. I had a look at the skull in question and was convinced that it was a bad one. having read some of your comments, i guess the item has support on both sides. for me, its a no.

Comment

Personally, I think its possible. Those who damn it point to its ubiquitous appearance on Alteste SS caps, but it was paired on these caps with unused stocks of original unmarked late-war SS Assmann cap eagles, so...

Comment

I had one of that skull and it was 100% grounddug, I unfortunately don't have pics of it any more, but for me It's a 100% authetic piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X