SS Alpacca Silver Cigarette Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
    Yes, there is probably a half ton of humped up fake engraved cigg cases and watches etc.. Usually way overdone. SS runes a flying,,skulls etc.

- pretty cool,though that its a early date 1935 and non runic SS.. And, very nice engraving..

With the engraving being explained its entirely possible it is a good piece.. How can you prove it? You can't unless there was some sort of provenance... If you really got to have it try and not pay a lot for it.. Under $100. would be fine for most that just have to have it..
    I take my Hat off to you Sir as those were very rational level headed comments. The only information that I can provide is that I purchased the Cigarette case from an Italian Guy for, as I recall approx 10 euro. Certainly not sufficent money changed hands for him to go to the trouble of faking an engraving. I have dealt in Antiques over 30 years and I am 100% sure the engraving is period as are the Alpaca marks. Albiet it is possible to engrave a Third Reich period piece, on this occassion from my perspective the engraving is period.
    Regards Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Harding View Post
      I take my Hat off to you Sir as those were very rational level headed comments. The only information that I can provide is that I purchased the Cigarette case from an Italian Guy for, as I recall approx 10 euro. Certainly not sufficent money changed hands for him to go to the trouble of faking an engraving. I have dealt in Antiques over 30 years and I am 100% sure the engraving is period as are the Alpaca marks. Albiet it is possible to engrave a Third Reich period piece, on this occassion from my perspective the engraving is period.
      Regards Martin
      Go to any Polish flea market and you can find dozens of similar items, which are equally convincing...and all fake.

The argument that "it was cheap and hardly worth the effort to fake, so it must be good" has been made time and time again regarding all sorts of faked items. What effort is worth is entirely relative, based on where you live and your economic situation. I have seen people do a lot more for a lot less.

Likewise, the argument that fakers would never be so clever as to pick something obscure to engrave is quite naive.

As for your ability to determine the age of the engraving, I believe you are fooling yourself.

Unfortunately, I am sure that you will not find my comments to be "rational" or "level-headed," as they do not support what you want to hear.

Comment

bwanek1,, I go to Polish flea markets every year for the last 10. They are usually way overdone as I've mentioned.
        New engraving probably up to 5 years or more especially in a closed case will be bright inside. Chemical agents for aging would not have worked on this piece as the gold matt wash is still there around it. Yes there are some talented 'artists there but Poland is in the EU now with euro flying around with their Zloty,,,10 euro doesn't buy a 6 of beer anymore! So with the seller making a few euros on the deal what could he have paid for it!!

This is subtle,,low played. If a piece without a provenance that could be good this is it, why not,come on,,there has got to be authentic ones out there somewhere!

Comment

I got stuck with some.....

I bought half a dozen of these in my early years of collecting at the semi-annual Chicago area show. By the the time I realized they were fake, the window of opportunity to take them back had passed. When the identical item shows up every 6 months - you know you've been had. Of course the seller assured me at the time they were all pre-1945. If the price of silver keeps going up they will eventually be worth melting down for scrap. I'm keeping them as nice to look at fantasy items for now. They have SS, HJ, Heer, and Luft insignia on them. Are there any threads here with fake cig case pics?

Comment

Let's se them Brian

You bought a half dozen? 6 months apart? And did not have the opportunity to return them? That's 3 years of being had, and no time to return any of them? And thought they were good? Where are they? Post the pics, Let's compare them................
            Last edited by birdie; 08-20-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I can't post them - but I'm willing to take the risk & make this offer - if someone with expertise in this area wants to take a look at them & post pics with comments, I'd be happy to box them up & ship them to a such a person - if they can send me a convincing PM. And agree to return the items, of course.

Comment

nice offer

That is a fair offer, but i don't know if anyone wants to go to the trouble, if you want to send one, that is the closest to this one, I'd do it.

Just curious, why can't you post them?

Comment

with engraveings moslty u never know, never have seen so many SA and SS daggers before since over the last 15 years and I know an engraver that could do anything from Germany, thats why I am very reserved.

Comment

Case

Does the "S.S." necessarily stand for Schutzstaffel? It seems unusual that they didn't use the runic SS symbol. The bottom line is that you'll always be where you started with such a piece. You can rest assured and sleep well knowing that you either have a rare item or a post war embellishment.

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                      Does the "S.S." necessarily stand for Schutzstaffel? It seems unusual that they didn't use the runic SS symbol. The bottom line is that you'll always be where you started with such a piece. You can rest assured and sleep well knowing that you either have a rare item or a post war embellishment.
                      From my limited knowledge so don't hold me to it the SS used to write SS in normall gothic/roman,so just SS. I think they changed to the SS runes for writing SS in 1939 or somewhere when it became regulation for armbands documents etc.

I remember reading that somewhere or am I completely wrong about this?

Comment

You're completely wrong about this.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                          You're completely wrong about this.

agreed

Comment

Guess I was,but not completely the book only mentions it for sleevebands no idea if it was for other area's as well.

I quote

On 1 September 1939 orders were implemented changing the gothic SS utilized on the sleevebands to the runic SS.

On 19 December 1939 the use of gothic letters in the sleeveband title was discontinued and the latin script introduced.

This probably has no bearing on the cig case.

Carry on.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X