How do you....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you....?

Convince someone to show you a part of their family history when they are ashamed of it.
    So I talked to a coworker who said his buddy's grandfather was in the SS. He's passed on since but his father has his possessions. These include black visor, SS dagger, medals plus other "odds and ends". The father found the items not too long ago and is ashamed that his father was in the SS and apparently worked in a Concentration Camp. The stuff is in a box.
    I've been trying to see the items but the family doesn't want to even acknowledge it. Has anyone dealt with a gem like this before and how did you solve it. The worst is that I'm trying to persuade them through a 3rd party (my coworker)

that is a tough one. military setvice in those time was a must.germany was a militaristic nation it was a honour to serve in the armed forces.working in the early kz camps before they were death camps if possible to find out were for holding work shy people, policical, constsnt criminals etc.it was military duty.germany has a national guilt about the war and most young germans know little about it through lack of education of it.some old people still think of the old hares as heros.the graves and monuments are well taken care of . as my dad says when certain groups come collecting moneies for charatys they bombed my relitaves, but they are today helping the children"the war amps" the war is over these are now people that had nothing to do with it and it is history, as with artifacts from any war, culture, or time it is to be preserved good or bad. one can only hope he was a good moral man doing his military duty, god will judge him

Comment

I tend to take these stories with a bucket full of salt, most ss men
      wanted to forget the past. Think about it, when this man emigrated
      from Germany to Canada did he say i know i.ll pack my old camp
      stuff my dagger and hat. That will go down well with the natives.
      Regards
      Mametz

Comment

Originally posted by mametz View Post
        Regards
        Mametz

I agree. While anything is possible, I've run into a few of these stories. My personal favorite was a guy that told me his Wife's father was in the SS and thay they still had his uniform hanging in the closet. I asked him if it had the runes or a skull on the collar. His responce... "both".

Comment

Regards
          Mametz

Your arguement may sound true but I've met 3 german veterans that brought stuff back. an SS man brought m43 cap and arm band, Uboat radio operator...medals and uniform, and another ss man had a sword, soldbuch, insignia.
          Sometimes loyalty and memories are hard to part with. Some men had nothing to be ashamed of....

Comment

Regards
            Mametz

I know pictures speak volumes but unfortunatelly I can't provide anything. I spoke to my coworker again, that the black uniform doesn't mean he was in a concentration camp but he said the father found actual pictures of his father standing by piles of dead bodies in a black uniform...etc.
            Should I try and find out his last name, look it up and then drop off "by chance" a card? What do you think?
            I never have much luck finding anything and this could be my chance of a life time

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
              I agree. While anything is possible, I've run into a few of these stories. My personal favorite was a guy that told me his Wife's father was in the SS and thay they still had his uniform hanging in the closet. I asked him if it had the runes or a skull on the collar. His responce... "both".
              I agree this story seems a bit far fetched. When these men who seved in camps escaped or immigrated Europe they were happy to be alive and not behind bars and/or on trial. The last thing in the world they would be bringing with them in suitcases across the ocean is an SS visor hat and other evidence of their service. The most I have ever seen from any SS man was a soldbuch, and this fellow was a combat officer and not a concentration camp service man. I think someone is pulling your leg one way or another. Just my opinion.

Dave.

Comment

Camp service, survived the war and kept his items plus brought it over to Canada? Not in my dreams I would think this is true.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X