Early TK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early TK???

Could I please get some info or opinions on this big guy?
    Attached Files

b

b
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks in advance...

Comment

No Opinions? sorry to bug, but I just need to know... send it back or keep it?

Comment

???

Comment

Wow.... over 100 people have looked at this skull and not 1 person has an opinion? All I wanted to know is if I should keep it or not. I'm sorry to have bothered you guys...

Thanks for looking......

Comment

You have to remember its summer, and many people are away or vacationing. It also may be an unusual variation , so who knows, but if 100+ looked at it, and no comments, isnt a bad thing, because if people dont really know, they dont want to give you bad info. And im sure you want accurate opinions, so sit back chill, dont remove the photos, and give it time, even if it takes weeks. Eventually someone will know. There is also a skull thread , you may want to dig up out of the archives, and add it to . So either way, it will go into the database for future reference. There is still much unknown in this hobby.

One thing i notice is it has the dark solder you find from the period, and nice details, but not being a skull expert, i cant say either. Was it something you got from a show, a vet, another collector? whats the story on it? Sometimes that helps. was it missing the one attachment when you got it?
              Please take another shot to show the profile of the back attachment , as the photos dont show if it is flat or round. Maybe that will help. The rest is in focus, but that part is not. Lets all hope you get some credible response.

It seems to have some personality. What are they asking for it? and also does the seller have any information on where it was acquired, or from whom he got it from? Also if it has a lifetime guarantee, that once you authenticate it , if it isnt original, will he refund in full ? If so make him put it in writing, and then you can purchase it in confidence, until you can determine its authenticity. Hope the advice helps some....we all have been in that canundrum before at one time or another, as thats what makes this hobby never boring.

Comment

hey there

it looks like a traditional Hussar skull, but i dont like it so "masked" skull and i dont like the splits but i cant for sure say its a below is a pic of one of my skulls to compare, hope it helps

cheers mate

Billede 007.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH]1249231[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thank you for your responses guys, and I really appreciate the photo's to compare with...

The only reason I am in a hurry is because I'm about to possibly go offshore for a month+.

There is not an issue with getting my $ back. I am not worried about that at all.

I asked him where it came from, and he said that he couldnt remember, that it had been floating around a jewelry box on his dresser for years and years, and that the other pin was likely broken off in there. however a few members of his immediate family were WWII vets and thats more than likely where it came from, but again he wasnt sure. He didnt even bring up that he had it. He only remembered it when I started naming off all different types of German militaria and I said something about a skull and he remembered he had this one.

As for the pin, Its a little bit of both, seems to be a half circle, round on the top and flat on the bottom
                    Attached Files

Comment

Totenkopf

I'd pass. I like the coloring of the back, but I don't like the coloring of the front, or the detail. Many of these badges are a tin type plating over copper, so the high spots are worn away to expose the copper. This badge looks opposite, like it was artificially aged or at least cleaned at one time. I don't care for the teeth either. And I'm not crazy about the pins. Having said all this, be aware that there were MANY different examples made of this traditional insignia. Despite it's thinness, the badge should not flex or bend easily. These badges pop up fairly often, so I'd be patient and get a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                        I'd pass. I like the coloring of the back, but I don't like the coloring of the front, or the detail. Many of these badges are a tin type plating over copper, so the high spots are worn away to expose the copper. This badge looks opposite, like it was artificially aged or at least cleaned at one time. I don't care for the teeth either. And I'm not crazy about the pins. Having said all this, be aware that there were MANY different examples made of this traditional insignia. Despite it's thinness, the badge should not flex or bend easily. These badges pop up fairly often, so I'd be patient and get a better one.

Thank you,

The skull has no wear at all. the stuff that looks like the finish wearing off is some kind of grime. It will come off. There is no copper whatsoever showing. I cleaned off a very small area and will post some befroe and after photos later

Comment

the photos dont really prove my point as they didnt come out that great, but there is no plate loss in any of the recessed areas or the rest of the skull whatsoever, just grime.

heres the before shot...
                          Attached Files

Comment

and the after
                            Attached Files

Comment

after looking at the first photo i see how you thought that, but if i polished this guy, which i realllllly dont want to, it would be a gleeming bright solid silver color.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X