SS plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS plate?

Saw this on auction advertised as an 80 yr old plate. Could this be an SS or ahnenerbe inspired plate design or a post-war added design?

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
    Saw this on auction advertised as an 80 yr old plate. Could this be an SS or ahnenerbe inspired plate design or a post-war added design?

Yes to all the above.

Comment

Anybody have one or can confirm such a design? It looks to me like someone added the swas. later, but cannot tell from this pic alone. The border does have similar swirls in it, but are those grapes?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
        Yes to all the above.
        I was trying to figure out to answer without writing a novel worth's of words...and then i read the above.
        I concur.

Comment

If the price is within reason, it would be worth obtaining and studying the possibilities of it's origins first hand. Perhaps not worth taking a gamble.. unless one is able to afford it of course.

Comment

This looks to be of fine quality worksmanship, but I do remember when in Europe on different occasions such carved plates were readily available in various designs and patterns and levels of quality and I think pieces from the 1970's can by now have acquired a fine patina, I guess you would really have to know how to date one and what you have before considering a major commitment.

Cheers,

John

Comment

Hi

Nothing military with this plate, it is a lauburu or basque cross (yes I know looks like a svatiska ) and was sold as sovenir, with a lot of other items of this part of France, in the south west, at the border with Spain

The plate you show was made in the 60'. The lauburu is engraving also on glass, plates, etc...

Comment

I did not buy the plate but it sold for around 25 Euros. Wish I could physically inspect it. Thanks to those who responded.

Comment

Originally posted by lemalouin View Post
                  Hi

Nothing military with this plate, it is a lauburu or basque cross (yes I know looks like a svatiska ) and was sold as sovenir, with a lot of other items of this part of France, in the south west, at the border with Spain

The plate you show was made in the 60'. The lauburu is engraving also on glass, plates, etc...
                  Maybe. But I have seen these spiral armed swastikas on ancestral-inspired Nazi pieces also. I think I have a period pin around here with that very design, patterened after ancient Germanic swastikas, that I believe was a Winterhilfswerk prize.

Additionally, I think the maltese cross in the center does imply something of the German military.

I suspect this is not a tourist piece. Whether is it period or post-war is another matter.

Comment

Norse rune curved swastika

Found this depiction of an ancient Norse sun rune - swastika resembles the one on the plate:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Scratch View Post
                      I have seen these spiral armed swastikas on ancestral-inspired Nazi pieces also. I think I have a period pin around here with that very design, patterened after ancient Germanic swastikas, that I believe was a Winterhilfswerk prize..
                      I'm attaching images of a few WHW pins that I own, which feature this style of sunwheel. There was a series of these pins which attempted to demonstrate the archeological provenance for the significance of the swastika.

The first is close to the image depicted on the plate. The reverse of the pin features german text which conveys that the motif was found in Greece and is believed to be from 1600 BC.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is another variation. This one states that the motif was uncovered in Poland, and was made of bronze, dating to 1000 BC.

The solar significance is quite clear on this one, given that the perimeter features sun-like rays.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                          Yes to all the above.
                          Was this supp. to be a flippant remark or are you being serious? I know those are all possible, but had you seen anything like this before?

Comment

Plate

Was this supp. to be a flippant remark or are you being serious? I know those are all possible, but had you seen anything like this before?
                            No, I was serious about my comment as I have seen examples of this design similar to those posted above. I am not however a true student of this symbolism. Also, yes to the possibility of it being post war added. I remember your original posting of the plate and wished I could find one for myself.

Comment

FYI

http://www.germaniainternational.com/ss27.html

scroll down to the middle of the page

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X