• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-SS Overcoat ...

Hi,

Nice original A-SS "Mantel" here :

http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/Framepage.htm

But nevertheless 7k ...

The collar piping and rank collar + tabs piping are wrong for me, no double torsade as regulation asked nor RZM markings on the buttons (but that's without contest possible for the butttons).

IMHO striped and restored mint never issued SS overcoat but more opinions are welcome !

Thanks

PB.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pascal Bernhard; 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM.
    Straßburger / When in doubt do without...
    - Looking for : SS TK «Oberbayern» flatwire CT.

"Standarte" number collar tab :
    Attached Files

Comment

Not everything was in the regulations, for piping you will find just everything out there even where the flow of the piping goes in the oposite direction etc. You have to look way closer to see if it is original applied or not and then hopefully there is even something that will you tell if good or bad. A good tailor can easy make it possible that you cannot tell anymore.

Comment

Thanks Robert, and what do you think about the collar tabs please ?
        The "3" seams OK, but I don't like the rank tab...perhaps I'm wrong...

Comment

I see nothing wrong, also note the light from the photos might misjudge you. All I can say something like this should get judged physical. From the source this one is offered all I can say is superb quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Pascal Bernhard View Post
            Hi,

Nice original A-SS "Mantel" here :

http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/Framepage.htm

But nevertheless 7k ...

The collar piping and rank collar + tabs piping are wrong for me, no double torsade as regulation asked nor RZM markings on the buttons (but that's without contest possible for the butttons).

IMHO striped and restored mint never issued SS overcoat but more opinions are welcome !

Thanks

PB.
            Agree, I'm used to seeing the dbl strands, repros seem to suffer from singles or 1/2 strands.

Comment

Scared of the non double twist piping.Has a weird shine to it too.

Comment

I personally handled this mantel at the Wilmington, OHio OVMS show in May. I too, felt that it is an original overcoat, but has been restored. The piping around the collar and tabs IMHO is not original period wartime material and has been postwar applied. None of the buttons are SS marked as well. The coat does have the correct tags inside. I just did not want to sink that kind of money into a put together Allgemine SS overcoat. I still am in the hunt for an untouched one, so if anybody knows where one is and would like to part with it, then please contact me here on the forum.

Regards,
                Grant

Comment

Grant, don´t expect on all black tunics or coats SS RZM marked buttons.

Comment

an old posting, only to show some other piping styles.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=piping

Comment

Robert,

I am well aware of not all Allgemeine SS tunics not having SS marked buttons, but I was simply pointing out that this one did not have any SS markings. I still do not agree with this style of piping, so we will have to agree to disagree. Also, if you look at the wear on the nap wool of the rank tab, it does not match or look consistant to the piping or the rest of the collar of the overcoat. Once again, IMHO, a post war put together. I did talk to the owner of the coat, which he must have sold it or consigned it to the Field Marshall's Baton, and he said that he has owned the piece for about thirty years. I would have to agree with Pascal, it appeared to be a un-issued coat that had insignias added to it. Regards, Grant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X