BeVo Volunteer Armshield Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BeVo Volunteer Armshield Update

Some years ago I stumbled across a shop in Sheffield 'packed' with BeVo foreign volunteer arm shields,all of which to my even then cynical,embittered and twisted mind were fakes.There were the full range from France,Wallonie,assorted Cossack units (Don,Terek etc) Georgien,Bergkaukasien,Turkistan (various)....the full works,all cut from a roll with zig-zag scissors.At that time (about 1985-6) those of us who suffered from the addiction to pretty shields had already been pretty much hit with what was at that time (pre-good reference books & www) a convincing array of fakes and recently Dan,myself and others were trying to work out exactly when they started to appear and where from.My earliest recollection is sadly (for me) a 'Biz Allah Bilen' Turkistan oval (with crescents) which I bought around 1977-8.
    Anyway I finally found myself with some spare time the other day,ditched my wife and adorable daughters and shamelessly indulged myself in a re-visit to this shop.Now at the time of my first visit the owner when casually asked as to their authenticity was reluctant to be cornered either way (price was..surprise,surprise...midway...cheap for real,expensive for fake) and the conversation was curtailed quickly.This time however the owner 'Terry' was straight in with questions to me (presumably to see how much I knew) and when I had obviously passed his tests he couldn't have been more helpfull.The only shield he had left was the Wallonie on tan background (small A) but he did have a whole load of other fake BeVo eagles,skulls etc so I asked him about the origins of his shield etc and he said straight up that they were fakes which he got from the USA by the hundred,some insignia were better than others he said (correctly) and they were originally made (in the USA) from photocopies taken from Andrew Mollos volumes.Now it's some time since I saw one of these books but from memory they were reasonably accurate line drawings but to lift them from a page and manufacture them weren't they wrong scale (too small) ? Anywhich way he was openly slagging the new batch off saying that the first fakes from the US back in the 60's were much closer and not these 're-enactor quality' that you get today,and how good the 70's shields had been..it was frankly all I could do not to sob there and then.SO there you go Dan,ian b etc EARLY 70's from USA (possibly Texas) on a jackard loom with designs allegedly lifted from Mollos books.
    One thing that made me grin was that while I was there a guy came in for a length of medal ribbon whick he cut off with,yes,you guessed it...zig-zag scissors.

Warm regards,
    Ian Hulley

Ian:

You mention the following that you had seen among the fake shields: "assorted Cossack units (Don,Terek etc) Georgien,Bergkaukasien,Turkistan (various)"..while I have seen fake bevo Turkistan pieces, I have never ever seen fake bevo styles of the other pieces I noted. Are you sure they were of the bevo style, or were they printed?

Thanks,

John

Comment

Hi John;

They've faked every shield you can think of in bevo.
      Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by militarybuyer
        Ian:

You mention the following that you had seen among the fake shields: "assorted Cossack units (Don,Terek etc) Georgien,Bergkaukasien,Turkistan (various)"..while I have seen fake bevo Turkistan pieces, I have never ever seen fake bevo styles of the other pieces I noted. Are you sure they were of the bevo style, or were they printed?

Thanks,

John
        John,as Tony correctly points out they've faked EVERYTHING in BeVo (and made up a few more besides) I was once told that the repros were not common...sadly (and I mean sadly) this is NOT the case. "Be afraid...be VERY afraid" just about sums it up. Actually if it hadn't been for the identical zig-zag cut to EVERY shield in the cases I dare say some,if aged a bit,would have passed non-intrusive inspection.I really can't remember everything that was there but there was at least 1 style of BeVo Handschar, Lithauen and numerous others,all absolutely brand spanking new.It literally looked like a sales case from the BeVo salesman AND the guy had rolls of extras ready to cut from.

Kind regards,
        Ian Hulley

Comment

Well done Mr Hulley! You have done us proud with your deerstalker and magnifying glass. I feel that this little mystery has been solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan T
            Well done Mr Hulley! You have done us proud with your deerstalker and magnifying glass. I feel that this little mystery has been solved.
            Dan,thanks ,but I feel we've only scratched the surface of this.Without wanting to appear too paranoid I'd really love to know where the sudden abundance of PRINTED shields appeared from.I remember way back when I bought my 'Georgien' shield in around '76 they were really rare (and worth 5x the amount they are now..Formanns had one for £85 back in '80) even up 'till I took my 10 year sabbatical from collecting I never saw another one 'in hand'.Now however they are absolutely everywhere on the net,with the vastly lower cost of setting up a screen/block printing system as compared to a jackard loom am I really surprised at the quantities ? OR are the vast numbers swamping the 'popular auction houses' all original and I simply missed the exposure of thousands of these ?

Ian Hulley

Comment

In 1957 or 58 I had a ton of these shields given to me (free) when I lived in Dallas, Texas. They were brought back by a member of my father's US Army reserve unit which was at that time stationed at Love Field.
              There was a roll of Armenian shields that was the size around of a fruitcake tin, many Azb. and Geor. as well. A small handfullof the printed ones. There were literaly hundreds of them.
              A Dallas collector was paying me $.50 (yes, that's cents) for each one and getting like $10.00 to $12.00 for them. This went on for a long time; he was lovin' it.....
              Hell, I used to give them to folks who wanted them.....
              So, at least you can relax that some of the ones 'out there' are authentic.

Comment

Hi,

Is this one of the good or bad.
                All the best Merdock
                Attached Files

Comment

reverse;
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Merdock, just answered your query in another thread. Sad to say this one is bad.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

"France" BeVo Sleeve shield

Hi!

Very interesting - this is definately NOT the authorized pattern as manufactured by German embroidery companies but it very well may be of wartime French manufacture.

Have you tested the fibers and looked at it under a black light?

Diane

Comment

I recall the bevo shields in the 70s to be pretty common. There were some repros hitting the market then but they were the rarer ones, stiffer and heavier then the originals. I the backgrounds were not the usual gray color either. Maybe dark green. I've bought only a few (all used) from veterans over the years, POA, Kroatian, and Georgian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X