helmet with SS and Spanish decal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmet with SS and Spanish decal

What do you think about these SS runes found in a helmet together with the spanish colours decal?
    I think it´s an original early style but more oppinions are needed.
    Greg
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
    What do you think about these SS runes found in a helmet together with the spanish colours decal?
    I think it´s an original early style but more oppinions are needed.
    Greg
    I am sorry Greg, but the SS decal is a bad one. It is not authentic.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thank you Walter. Could you or anybody else tell me why? I don´t see what is there wrong.
      Last edited by Gregorio Torres; 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

The first thing noticable is that the decals have obviously been applied over rust pits.

Comment

Thank you Walter. Could you or anybody else tell me why? I don´t see what is there wrong.
          Shield is wrong, runes are wrong, pulver is wrong, the entire decal is wrong and not an "early" type. Dont let that train of thought distract you on this one.

Study originals and you will see.

Comment

Thank you very much.
            Greg

Comment

You left out that there wasn't a Spanish SS division.

Comment

Originally posted by leibermuster View Post
                You left out that there wasn't a Spanish SS division.
                Correct , but there were at least 2 companies of Spaniards :

Spanische-Freiwilligen Kompanie der SS 101
                Spanische-Freiwilligen Kompanie der SS 102

I believe the 101 was attached to Nordland late in 1945

Comment

Yes, the called here "101" men were attached to the Nordland and was extermintated in Berlin in may 1945. They are best known in Spain as "Einheit Ezquerra". (Miguel Sanchez Ezquerra was their comander)
                  There were another two spanish ss complete companies attached to waffen SS divisions Wallonie and Kartsjager. There were also some spanish waffen sS sections in the 29 italien Waffen SS div (italian), in the Dirlewanger div and in the Jagdvereande commanded by Otto Skorzeny. And I know another one who was in the Totenkopf div.
                  At least 500 spaniards served as SS in the WWII.

Comment

Liebermuster, If you need more information I recommend you to buy this http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=1032821
                    Regards

Comment

Do my eyes deceive me? That Spanish insignia doesn't appear to MY eyes, to be a decal at all. It appears to be hand-painted.
                      I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Liebermuster, If you need more information I recommend you to buy this http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=1032821
                        Regards
                        Very cool, I love learning about the foriegn volunteers of the SS. I was aware that the Spaniards fought with SS units, but not that they fought on the scale you mention. Did they have Spanish colors like on this helmet, or wouldn't they have standard markings?

Comment

Bob: It´s a decal, not painted.
                          Liebemunster: Spaniards in waffen SS had forbiden strictly wearing spanish shields in the arm or helmet, but they didn´t obey the rule sometimes. As decals or armshields were not given to them, those who wished have one of them must improvise, so, if one day an authentic spanish ss helmet appear this have to be with painted national colours IMO.
                          Abuot information on spanish SS take a look in internet and you´ll find some small articles in english about them, specially in Wallonie Div and Berlin.
                          Greg

Comment

Now concerning to anecdotes and the little paper info concerning uniform regulations of Spanish Volunteers in the SS, Anecdotes say that most of this volunteers wore custom made Spanish shields on their tunics, only the ones that were not repatriated to Spain and stayed wore the standard arm shield.

The paper work stated they would use the bevo arm patch.

Anecdotes say that they even wore their medals and children found the display very interesting (Book Los Irreductibles) Also that they hand painted insignia on helmets and falange emblems (Book los Irreductibles) this are anecdote and i guess it will never be proven.

But as gregorio said if an SS helmet appeared with Spanish colors, most likely it would be hand painted.

Sorry couldnt resist:

Another anexcdote said that they received dot camo tunics and pants and the volunteerd did not hesitate to decorate them with spanish insigina

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X