Originally posted by medalnet View Post
    does anybody know what this is?

A joke?

Tom

Comment

No

No Idea.

Comment

Its possibly for Russian cossacks in German service...It could be real! Note the typical Russian "Shaska" Cavalry sabers and horse shoe which of course symbolizing cavalry! WOW!!! If ligit extremely rare!!!
        I like the quality of the embroidery...maybe even too good!

The "Von Jungschulz Cavalry Regiment" (a cossack unit) adopted this skull
        emblem which came in different patch designs and shapes. These were worn on the upper left sleeve, but I've never seen them done this elaborate in period pictures...

Usually only the skull on black backing on a patch shaped like a helmet decal shield... but other shapes could have existed see below examples! (Post 5 and 6) I do not know if they are real or not...

Note the SS panzer beret skull used on the SS sidecap!!!
        (image credit cossacks book Schuster&Tiede)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 01-25-2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

another variation...(real???)
          with cavalry yellow piping!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 01-24-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

and here's a round one! Who knows? Real?
            Repros from Russia??? (they like to reenact Cossacks!)
            Tough to tell!
            Whats the story behind it? Source?

BTW
            The bottom oval cossack headquarters sleeve patch is unrelated to
            the "Von Jungschulz Cavalry Regiment unit"
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 01-24-2009, 04:04 AM.

Comment

OK I have found a match!
              Does not prove that its necessarily a real patch, but it does proof my hunch that its Russian Cossack related!
              (real or repro) So of course the patch in question could have been copied from this illustration....
              (different size also!!) but if ligit an amazing find. Note yellow used as cavalry waffenfarbe!
              So what's the story??? Where did it surface?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 01-25-2009, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Here's another period image from the same source as post #4
                These guys were really into skulls!!!! Note metal panzer skulls on the hats here
                and again sleeve patches with skulls!
                Of course the skull in the German Armed Forces started as a Cavalry symbol, which explains the panzer connection and therefor it is not out of place with these Cossacks, which are Cavalry men!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 01-25-2009, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Here's a cossack regimental flag which is further proof that the diamond shaped patch that started this thread is indeed Cossack related.
                  Note the horse shoe on the flag denoting cavalry and the crossed saber and whip with fur cap below it...
                  A design with some similarities like the patch that started this thread.
                  Eventhough this flag lacks a skull, designwize its related! (also appears illustrated in post#7)
                  (image credit: Littlejohn's Foreign volunteer book on Eatern volunteers)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's another Jungschulz Cossack image (same source credit as previous post), now shown a diamond shaped skull sleeve patch.
                    I realize that the diamond patch was posted in the SS section because of the skull, but it is obviously Heer Cossack related.
                    Can't say if its genuine though... but it is a representation of a Cossack patch (one of many designs) as used in the Von Jungschulz Regiment.
                    The thread is actually not entirely out of place here, as all Cossack units ended up under SS control towards the end of the war, eventhough they did keep their Heer uniforms/insignia along with exotic Cossack dress and regalia after the transfer!

Hope this was helpful!
                    Nick
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 01-25-2009, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                      OK I have found a match!
                      Does not prove that its necessarily a real patch, but it does proof my hunch that its Russian Cossack related!
                      (real or repro) So of course the patch in question could have been copied from this illustration....
                      (different size also!!) but if ligit an amazing find. Note yellow used as cavalry waffenfarbe!
                      So what's the story??? Where did it surface?
                      Just one of those finds. I will post better pictures soon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X