X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS visor cap - opinion needed

Any comments very welcome.
    Thanks!

I would love to put a matching eagle and skull on it and have it in my collection

Derek

Comment

look nice

Comment

Thanks!
        Why could anyone have damaged the liner like this? There were no runes I suppose?

Comment

Looks damn good to me.

Comment

a part from the butchered interior I like very much the overall wear and shape.... nice catch!

Comment

Why is the cap in such nice condition, yet the center section of the interior seems to be "burned" away, with very little damage to the rest of the cap? I'll admit - it looks good in pics, but what's the story behind this one? Is this simple vermin-damage that I am seeing? I once owned a cap that displays very similar damage, but the pics are difficult to tell from . . .

I have not yet "microscoped" the pics, but my this is my first reaction . . .

Brad

Comment

Fake thing IMO

Comment

To me, it looks real, but deliberately damaged long ago in its past....vets did all kinds of things that seem inexplicable to us collectors...

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    vets did all kinds of things that seem inexplicable to us collectors...
                    Arran thanks for that! That is an important fact in my opinion!
                    But I have to admit that I cant quite work out a reason why someone might have done that to the cap.

Comment

It is possible that the cap had the runes on the lining and was "denazified". Here's a grey cap with runes.

Can you take a shot of under the sweatband at the front? The holes for the skull look a bit far apart.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Outside of that hole the cap is textbook and right as rain. Can’t explain it but you just need to overlook it.

Comment

I like the cap

Best
                          John

Comment

I have seen several items of headgear with this sort of "damage"- IMO someone somewhere along the line perhaps got skeeved out by the idea of some filthy soldier's greasy, lice-ridden HAIR being in long-term contact with the top of the liner, and maybe also by the obviously-stained and greasy appearance of same, and removed it surgically to prevent 'contamination'. Also possible that it was deliberately de-Nazified by someone. But it's NOT uncommon to see otherwise-decent headgear with internal surgery performed like this...... and MANY folks, seeing these items, DO NOT think as collectors would, and don't concern themselves with damaging history or potential value to collectors.....

Comment

nice close to mint exterior, it should be a keeper. a pity the interior is ripped out just like that, the value of it is minus half

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X