SS overseas cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS overseas cap question

I've been trying to study up on SS headgear as I would like to get a nice piece for my collection. I still have a lot to learn and have a question regarding this piece that is listed for sale on the estand. I don't intend to buy this piece, but rather wish to learn from it at the present time. My one question on this piece is why would the skull and eagle be of such contrasting color? The eagle is a nice toned golden color while the skull looks a much brighter white. As both insignia would most likely have seen the same amount of exposure to the elements, I have wondered what would cause the difference. Is there a manufacturing difference between the two that would create this anomaly or is there some other explanation? Thanks for any help.
    Richard V

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=317892

Looks like a tropical eagle. Or possibly the two were made of different materials and faded differently. Of course post-war application with different insignia might explain this as well.

Comment

Not a tropical eagle. A tropical eagle is 100 time more rare than an overseas cap.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Looks like the skull is the 'normal' grey and the eagle a more silky material (like the fez eagles ) Not implying anything, merely an observation.

Ian.

Comment

Cap

I agree - there could be various reasons for such a mismatch. That's why SS cloth is so difficult. Even though the insignia and cap may be authentic, THEN, you have to ascertain whether the insignia is original to the cap. Sometimes you have to resign yourself to the fact that this is often impossible. This cap could be completely original as is, and another cap may have perfectly matched insignia, and be pieced together post-war. The MOST important thing to ascertain is that the cap and insignia are not only authentic, but that the cap itself is SS, and not Heer or something else. This applies to M-43 caps as well, as many are actually Heer caps converted to SS, probably post-war. The Dachau style SS Panzer M-43's with the exposed cardboard visor underside are, to me, a good choice, as they're all virtually identical, and not faithfully reproduced as far as I know. They have an unusual, flimsy zig-zag design in the wool, and unusual construction techniques that separate them from most M-43's. Good luck!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X