SS banner opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS banner opinions

I got this banner to use for display purposes. It has a lot of nice characteristics to it so I thought I would get some opinions. It measures 26 inches by 18.5 inches, it is made of wool, two sided,and it is rather soiled but there are no rips, tares or mothing. There are no markings fo any type on the hanging end. I did not get it thinking it was an original but stranger things have happened.

thanks for your opinions frank v.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vitts; 12-15-2008, 02:19 AM.

oppposite side
    Attached Files

Comment

chord attachment runs completely through
      Attached Files

Comment

other end both are reinforced
        Attached Files

Comment

stitching of the runes
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good, but it´s very hard to say if it´s original or not. Unless someone knows exactly who made it, of course.

Comment

??

I had one of these about a year or two ago in Chicago. Exact same thing. Could be the same flag. Phony as a Twenty-nine dollar bill!
              With no markings, it is very hard to say. Looked very good when I bought it...as the real thing. Got my money back...along with a dirty look from the owner. If you bought it cheap, fine, but as to authenticity?????

Comment

Well that is three saying it is good and one bad ( 2 pm's) ,with one offer to buy it. I am n ot going to sell it. Would anyone else like to weigh in with an opinion? thanks to all frank v.

Comment

Vitts

Nice to meet you over the net. After you blacklight test that item I don't think you will be happy. Hands on inspection, would be best, but this response is as per your posted photos......the flag "appears" artifically aged and a post war creation.

Most period photos of flags and photos (there are rare exceptions) do not generally reveal this type of flag, that is not to say the non-standard flags/banners existed.

Similar to your situation, I owned a flag like yours and the above test put it right into the cemetary. Get that test done and if it turns out to be a period "material" peice and you want to investiagte it further PM me.

Regards
                  DC

Comment

I've heard different things frommany dealers whom I trust and respect, one saying the must be printed, the other saying the must be sewn on, so I for sure dont know, other than if they were to be sewn, thats not a very good job. I'd buy it just to have a repro on the wall which isn't the typical nylon biker crap.

Comment

I like your banner. I have seen this type banner with sewn-on letters on wool in two sizes. One size is like yours and one is larger. I own one of the larger flags seen here. I saw one like yours sell last year at the SOSs for $1.8k. That was the actual sale price and not just the asking price. The only difference between it and yours was that there were markings on that one.

Here is the one I own. Hands on inspection seems to show that it hung vertially indoors (maybe in a school?) because it has smoke stains along the rope edge. It is made of wool with sewn-on letters. The wool has some moth nips visible when held up to the light. It does not glow under a black light.

Cincylance
                      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cincy, the sewing job on yours shows a much higher degree of workmanship and effort, I dont think that is reflected in the sewing job on the other piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X