Vet acquired Dutch SS Sport badgeI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vet acquired Dutch SS Sport badgeI

I have had this badge since the 90's. It was brought back from the war by Col Trueman E. O'Quinn. he was a staff officer for the JAG of the 101st. He tried court martials in the Normandy area after the invasion. He also participated in 4 major battles. At the end of the war he was in charge of release and repatriation of about 90000 POWs in Austria. this was bought at his estate auction after his death here in Texas. No one knew exactly how he picked this badge up simply that it was with other momentos that he brought back from the war. It is also an SS marked one. in Uniforms of the Ss by Mollo Vol.2 pg.20 it states that on Aug. 9 1942 7 were issued 1 gold 4 silver and 2 bronze. Also in April 1943 62 more badges were awarded. there is also a pic of two officers 1 Dutch SS and one Waffen SS at the Aug presentation ceremony. So we now do know that these were made awarded captured and brought back
    Attached Files

the back
    Attached Files

Comment

markings
      Attached Files

Comment

catch
        Attached Files

Comment

hinge
          Attached Files

Comment

There are very striking differences between this one the one with sword posted today and the NSB marked ones. Look at the leaves the flower at the bottom and the overall crispness of the two SS marked ones also the actual name of this badge is the Reichssportabzeichen.

Comment

GREAT looking badge! Here is the bronze example of the NSB type for comparison - s/f Robert
              Attached Files

Comment

They certainly are made differently. The tack welding of the runes is equally crude on both examples, but the leave details and pin hinge is of course markedly different.

There is a rougher example of the SS marked variety on the forum that was discussed and dismissed - maybe we should revisit the discussion in light of this discovery.

s/f Robert
                Attached Files

Comment

this is truly an historical moment in uncovering the history of these fantastic badges!

Comment

if it's real, how much is it worth nice looking badges btw

Comment

If this is real than it is really a discovery!

And no strange NSB markings on the back.

Best regards,

Rene

Comment

Wow, three threads on the same topic. I like the direction of this one the best. I dug out my old "curiosity" piece, and guess what, it is just like the first one posted that came from a vet. Maybe I got a real one after all

BTW, I have had mine a lot longer than since the 90's.

Tom

front:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tgn; 10-31-2008, 07:01 AM.

Comment

back:
                          Attached Files

Comment

sportbadge

Now we're getting somewhere with this thread!
                            Very interesting, but with reading these topics, just a question out of curiosity: *why are these badges all numbered with the same number SS-529??? Is that the manufacturerscode?
                            *Why didn't they number the awards like the SA-sportabzeichen on sequence of the recipients?

Greets

Comment

I am of the opinion that it is a makers mark Mine, Toms, the one with swords posted yesterday, and one other silver grade that I have seen are all marked the same.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X