SS cammo novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS cammo novice

Hello guys!! I wanted to ask, being a real SS cammo novice, what are the tip offs that might be helpful in determining what is original? I have a copy of Mike Beaver's SS cammo book and must admit it is difficult to determine from the photos and actual pieces on what is real. I know this info is dangerous if it falls into fakers hands because it will result in harder to determine fakes. I also know that knowledge is time tested and did not want to ask folks who are true experts to expose their expertise without myself learning to judge myself. That would not be fair either. I just wanted to ask the experts if it just takes time to see it right away or is there something that will help me better understand in determining original or not after examination. I have actually tested myself on reviewing posts on cammo items and usually guess wrong, especially helmet covers. That is why I wanted to ask. I would consider owning a piece of original SS cammo as one of the true "ultimates" in my collecting career. Thanks for reading and I would love to hear from all of you. Please feel free to e-mail or pm me if so desired also. Mike

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Comment

Hi Mike,

This is a study that takes time - and is hard to do from pictures alone. For example, in hand the cotton duck material is very distinctive as is the dot 44 HBT. Manufacturing techniques are also big clues as to authenticity...

To complicate matters, some camo patterns are expertly faked - others appear to be comparatively untouched.

My recommendation is to study and then test. When you see a smock or tunic come up, look into at your references and try and match the pattern pecisely (there should be no variations). If that works, look at the material and see if it seems to match period stuff. For covers, look at the hardware and sewing - the material is (in this case) irrelevant unless it is obviously wrong.

And then post and ask questions - lots of folks here willing to help.

And, until you gain insight, restrict your buying to those collectors/ dealers who are known to offer honest return priviledges...

Mike

Comment

Mike thanks for that great info! I really appreciate your response! It seems to be an area where experience is the best tool. Mike.

Comment

hello Mike

a good place to start with some SS camo in my opinion is a nice zeltbahn! you get a great expanse of fabric and they are available

I am sure if you found one from a dealer or on the e-stand, if you posted pictures, people would help you out

if you own an army zelt, you want to look at the construction details and they are very similar to that of an ss one and fabric aswell

also if you can, go to as many Military fairs as possible and handle the stuff, buying from a picture on the internet is a if you are not 100%

again though I am sure if you need help people will point you in the right direction, I have had good advice here, agree too with Mike C's opinion

john

Comment

John, great advice!! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Mike.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X