Standartenfuhrer Tab Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standartenfuhrer Tab Check

I just received these in the mail, and am up in the air about them. I am thinking "good" however: they are not a matching set, and the bullion weave looks SLIGHTLY loose. So, I figured the safest thing to do would be to post them here for informed discussion. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Tabs

They look promising to me, but do leave one wondering a bit.
      Peter

Comment

My thoughts exactly. One thing I often believe - that mismatched sets are more likely to be original, since they apparently were "married" by a collector, at some point in the past. Just a statistical observation (it's certainly possible for a collector to have assembled a pair from FAKE singles, as well). If I were betting, I'd say "original" on this pair, but I'd like to hear other comments before I commit.

Comment

Tabs

The set is not mismatched. They are a matching pair. After the bullion was embroidered, they were merely positioned differently over the backing material. I made a photocopy, cut out one tab and laid it over the other. The size and angle similarities indicate it is a pair. Besides, the piping, backing, and embroidery all match. I'm not prepared to say they're fake, but the embroidery seems pretty sloppy and imprecise. A pair-yes. A GOOD pair?

Comment

Personally, I like them. I think that slightly (and I mean that- the embroidery is still of a professional level) loose embroidery on original tabs is more likely than perfect materials and construction on fake tabs.

Comment

I am on the fence about these. I look at them and see good qualities and then I see areas that I don't like and are not precise for this ranking tab set. I think there are more similarites between these two to say yes it is a matched pair but it just dosen't give me the warm and fuzzies. If I was looking for this specific pair I would wait for a better set to come along.

Greg

Comment

Maybe maybe not, over all the piping is not in the right quality sewn on to these tabs as I would expect to see. But these are only my 5 cents, not a pair that would make me really happy. From where was the mail coming, hopefully not from a new source to test the world outsite :-)

Comment

These come from a very old collection, and so are without a doubt, not a "new breed." As I said before, I was on the fence, but leaning toward "real" - that's still where I am, but difficult to say for sure, good or bad. The one thing I do like is the construction - they are typical in that respect. As for the piping thickness, because I've seen too many period photos of various types and sizes of piping, I don't personally subscribe to the notion that piping must be thin, though I do prefer personally,thinner piping. Although they are probably okay, I'm not really into selling "probably good" - unless I got them really cheap, and could pass them along at a "probably good" price.

Comment

These tabs look genuine in most ways, they do look like they may have come from Abe's discount collar tabs where they sell seconds and defective SS tabs. Real...yes, desirable...up to the collector.

Richard

Comment

It's funny, I've been trying to convince myself that they're not right, so I can send them back, but I have the same view as yours,Richard - real, but ugh! Just goes to show that not every Colonel in the SS was spending his uniform ration on quality embroidery!

Comment

I would personally want a hands-on inspection with these.

With the amount of money a matched pair demands, based on what I've seen here in these pictures I would pass and hold off for a unquestionable set that wouldn't keep me up at night. I don't like having to wonder if something is legit every time I look at it...

Rob

Comment

It looks as if there may be some remnants of thread from having been sewn to a collar.

Comment

Maybe you could have the tag remnants tested to see if it is animal glue.

Comment

ss tabs

Craig, the cardboard buckram could shrink over time and loosens the bullion. Matched or not matched they are what they are, as for being "REAL" we would need to have them in hand, Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X