No announcement yet.

Salty panzer side cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foto 32 tells me.. Its that fine tricotime material.. NEVER seen black SS em overseas or em HG in that material SO more than likely tailored cap made for either branch made with entire uniform same material tailored..Also explains why liner dont match exterior use..Some of those material fairly fragile while some wear better..JMHO Billbert

Comment

Hello,
      Sorry but I don't agree with the statement if LW and SS side cap have the same cut.
      SS side caps have much wider top, by side viewing also there are differences, but sometimes minimal differences. In general LW caps have got narrow top. And you can find piping in SS, LW, and Herman G. also. Sometimes there's no piping.
      Regards,
      Alex

Comment

For me, this cap has the SS style cut and construction. The side flap curve looks SS, so does the curve on the front crown. The quite obvious sign of a large cockade having been in place would suggest a Luftwaffe one and therefore HG but who can really know for sure today. Maybe an SS tanker wanted a luft cockarde and an SS eagle? Stranger combinations of insignia have been seen on many a period photo.
        Personnaly, I don't think it matters. SS or HG, it's still a highly desirable cap in very nice condition.

Comment

Ditto!!Billbert

Comment

Dyed LW cap look at the seams photo 11 this cap has been boiled

and the lining in photo 31,36 and 38

looks like a butler special

Comment

dyed.

Comment

clues/criteria
                1.missing eagle
                2.strange tropical skull replacement
                3.round cockade mark underneath
                4.strange coloration
                5.traces of boiling
                6.if the cap wasnt black there would be no doubt,luftwaffe
                7.since cuts are similar easy to pass off,also material questions.
                8.if you were to fake a luftwaffe cap to a black ss panzer what would you do?....change cockade to skull,rip off eagle,dye cap.what couldnt you hide?tricot material,cockade ring,discoloration,boiling traces.

Comment

Well, being priviledged of having it in hands, I disagre on the comment of this having been dyed.

Kind regards,
                  Gerd V
                  Last edited by willysproject; 09-16-2008, 05:46 AM.

Comment

double post
                    Last edited by willysproject; 09-16-2008, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Gerd,
                      I dont see any signs of "boiling" or dying the cap. This looks like a nice worn SS panzer cap. Not sure what other see in the pics that lead them to jump to conclusion on that.
                      I have gotten to look at dyed insignia and cloth under a comparison electron microscope at the crime lab and it is very apparent under magnification when a textile is dyed. You can clearly see the dye on the fibers. The fact is theat your cap has a liner that shows no sign of dye in those pictures. The dye often makes these materials look dull and have no sheen. Thats all I can add.

Comment

Gerd, I wouldn't bother defending the cap anymore. How anyone can argue that it's dyed from looking at a few photos comparred to you who has it in your hands is impossible to understand.

Jerry, nice to see you.

Comment

For me, certainly NOT dyed, and a lovely cap...

Comment

I decided to bring back this thread because this oversea hat was in the late Robbie Willson collection which was sold short time ago.

I bought this hat via Internet auction and i got it several weeks later. But after a short in Hand inspection the hat turned out to be a dyed black Luftwaffe Oversea cap.

I returned the cap and got my Money returned. Collectors be careful. This hat will turn up probably in the future somewhere else for sell.

Look at the marked Point where i inspected the underside of the wool - greyblue Luftwaffe Wool.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to see this one pop up again.
                              I returned this one in 2008 to a well known internet seller. Having removed the skull, traces of the previous cocarde were visible. I didn't get all my money back from that seller, as I "altered" his item (returning the cap + loose removed skull) and didn't return it 'untouched'. Looks like it got insignia sewn on again...

Kind regards,
                              Gerd V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X