Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffen-SS Rank Tab on E-Stand--Opinions, Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS Rank Tab on E-Stand--Opinions, Please...

Hello everyone:

I have been considering this SS rank tab on the e-stand, and I'd like some second opinions. I know that much of what gets evaluated on these is also on the reverse, which obviously can't be seen when it's still attached, as this one is. I'm also curious about how an attached tab with a hidden reverse can have its appeal and value affected, as a result. Tom said he didn't mind me posting it at all, and I just like to be cautious and ask for other opinions, no matter what.

Also, is the zig zag pattern stitching on the back of the collar segment typical of what was done during the period? I am not at all familiar with how that should look.

Did the pip prongs typically show on the other side of the collar, were they typically hidden under the collar, or did this vary? Just curious.

Here's a link to the tab:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=308503

Thanks in advance to all who may respond.

Chris
    Last edited by Stahlhelm; 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM.

Tab

Classic RZM style pips. These typically show up on good ss rank tabs. I like it.

Comment

Tab

I just realised, I mistakenly left a comment on the e-stand posting after using your link. The rank tab looks fine and has RZM style pips which is nice to see.
      The zig zag stitch at the back of the collar is common to German tunics. At times, the pips are put on after the tab is sewn down because it was probably difficult to sew around the pips. Panzer skulls are commonly found with the prongs going through the collar as well.
      Peter

Comment

Very hard to say without removing it from that piece of collar, but so far it looks good.

Comment

rank tab

Hi Chris, IMHO whenever you buy war time rank tabs you have to keep an open mind concerning pips, they used many types and applied them in the field. There has been many discussions concerning even the litzen on rank tabs. Unless it is on a early black uniform they could come in any combo, so as the saying goes 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Lots of luck with it, Sonny

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
            I just realised, I mistakenly left a comment on the e-stand posting after using your link.
            Peter,
            I moved it for you
            cheers
            Gary

Comment

Does the collar appear to be period or is it too difficult or impossible to tell?

Cheers,
              Erich

Comment

Pips

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                Hi Chris, IMHO whenever you buy war time rank tabs you have to keep an open mind concerning pips, they used many types and applied them in the field. There has been many discussions concerning even the litzen on rank tabs. Unless it is on a early black uniform they could come in any combo, so as the saying goes 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Lots of luck with it, Sonny
                For me, I prefer RZM style pips on SS rank tabs. Yes others were used, but the top notch versions have RZM style pips.

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions, guys! I really appreciate it!

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X