SS camo cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS camo cap

I've recently met an older fellow collector who has a veteran aquired SS camo cap which he's owned for many years. I felt it was an interesting piece to study. He's given me permission to share it here to illustrate that, although period authentic, not everything is entirely "textbook".

Of particular interest, the "sweatband" is on the spring pattern side instead of the autumn side. The top panel has no seam and is also a different shade material than the sides, as is the bill. The core bill material has typical age stiffening and is cracked and separated in the center where folded. It's definately got plenty of character but displays quite well. The late war expediency is apparent and the natural wear is very evident when handled in person.

All factors considered, I really like this one. He realizes there will also be naysayers but requested I pass on to him any commentary, plus or minus. I'll be out for the remainder of the weekend so I look forward to reviewing the replies upon my return.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

not for my collection

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rheinmetall View Post
                  ...although period authentic, not everything is entirely "textbook"...He realizes there will also be naysayers but requested I pass on to him any commentary, plus or minus. I'll be out for the remainder of the weekend so I look forward to reviewing the replies upon my return.
                  I'll take the "textbook" item Every Time!

B. N. Singer

Comment

camo cap

"I could entertain a doubt "
                    jimtoncar

Comment

I would have to agree with my colleagues on this one. Sorry.

Bob

Comment

I think it has possibilities. It does show one small hidden trait to these style caps that i hope the reproducers have not caught yet. If they have then pretty soon they will be perfect Not everything is always textbook. Some people have no room for out of the ordinary and some do. If you have or know of good quality repros post some allround shots and lets see if this trait shows up. possible also this is a postwar made cap. lot of stuff was made from leftover camo stock. Mike

Comment

Rheinmetall,
                          IMO this is a reproduction/fake, I don't think it is "fieldmade". And it is definatly not a authentic factory made cap.

If you want to know why I think so please send me a PM.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Not a textbook factory made cap, neither do I think its a WW2 fieldmade one. Sorry, but my honestly opinion, its a totally fake.
                            Best regards, Tom

Comment

OK, I just got back last night and reviewed the comments here this morning. WOW...I knew this one was not a factory made example but when I held it in person it seemed so believable as a field made piece. This in combination with the story provided by the owner had me convinced it was legit. The only thing that gives me pause is that the owner was not offering it for sale so I really don't understand what his agenda would be to make his claims.

Situations like this is what makes the forum here so great. I would much prefer to take the judgement of collectors here who are intimately knowledgable with such items.

Well, it will be intersting to see what type of reaction I receive when I inform him of the concensus here. I'll place the call tonight and fill you guys in tomorrow.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X