Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS/Gestapo leather coat (?)

Hi guys!

Is this a real (in war) leather coat, or (Albert Speer style) civilian?

Color: dark grey

Ein Striwa Fabrikat

All pic:
    Last edited by zLine; 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM.

Commercial private purchase leather coat, as are all leather greatcoats.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
      Commercial private purchase leather coat, as are all leather greatcoats.

Bob Hritz
      I'm not sure if I understand the post above or not.

I agree that all WWII era German Officer leather overcoats were priviate purchase (as was most all of their uniform kit) but there is a BIG difference between a military regulation leather officers overcoats and the one posted in this thread...which is a very common civilian leather coat...in this case almost certainly post war to boot.

There were types of contract issue leather overcoats made during the WWI period through the early 1930s that were military and police issue as well....also very very different from this common style posted.

Comment

I was saying that the above leather coat is a private purchase civilian coat.

I was not aware that officers were ever ISSUED uniform articles, much less leather coats. I thought officers purchased their clothing with their uniform allowance. I don't know about police officer being ISSUED leather greatcoats, but I was not aware of Army/SS issuance of leather greatcoats.

I have seen many leather greatcoats decorated with shoulder boards, and eagles. They were in the cut most closely resembling military greatcoats. There are many period photos of Army, Luftwaffe, and SS officers wearing leather greatcoats. However, in my opinion they were all privately purchased and not an issuance of the German government.

In my scant uniform orders references, I find nothing regulating leather greatcoats, or the pattern and cut direction for leather coats. I would believe they were as closely cut, as possible, to that of the cloth greatcoats, to be allowed for wear.

I look forward to the information.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Thanks t info

Comment

I was saying that the above leather coat is a private purchase civilian coat.

I was not aware that officers were ever ISSUED uniform articles, much less leather coats. I thought officers purchased their clothing with their uniform allowance. I don't know about police officer being ISSUED leather greatcoats, but I was not aware of Army/SS issuance of leather greatcoats.

I have seen many leather greatcoats decorated with shoulder boards, and eagles. They were in the cut most closely resembling military greatcoats. There are many period photos of Army, Luftwaffe, and SS officers wearing leather greatcoats. However, in my opinion they were all privately purchased and not an issuance of the German government.

In my scant uniform orders references, I find nothing regulating leather greatcoats, or the pattern and cut direction for leather coats. I would believe they were as closely cut, as possible, to that of the cloth greatcoats, to be allowed for wear.

I look forward to the information.

Bob Hritz
            I mostly agree with where you are coming from with the comments above. The early issue leather overcoats were issued to motor related personnel not neccessarily officers...but some apparently managed to get them.

But more to your points above and the 3rd Reich use of them. I agree that they were not issue just as generally no officer specific uniform items were. There were regulations allowing them that I have seen in secondary source references and they were made specifically for military wear and sale.

I think that the last statement is the big difference that has to be considered. These leather overcoats were usually made in the same cut and style of the officer cloth overcoats (sometimes very small differences) and many came with the shoulder board loops and button holes and the opening and strap for the dagger/sword made into them...so there is no mistake of the intended market.

I will also add that there was (apparently as per Angola's reference on Heer uniforms) an order to suspend their manufacture in 1944 due to leather requirements and supplies being restricted.

Most civilian leather coats were made very similar to the one at the top of this thread. There were some other patterns during the period as well, mostly having tow rows of 3 buttons each (instead of 6) that were widley spaced, with full detached belts and open lapels, w/o turnback cuffs and With or without flapped pockets...but if flapped not rounded like the military intended leather greatcoats.

Comment

Phil,

We are entirely in agreement.

Has anyone ever seen a leather overcoat for Heer generals with red lapel facing, or for SS generals/ Luftwaffe generals with white lapel facing?

Bob Hritz

Comment

Phil,

We are entirely in agreement.

Has anyone ever seen a leather overcoat for Heer generals with red lapel facing, or for SS generals/ Luftwaffe generals with white lapel facing?

Bob Hritz
                Sorry for hogging the thread.

I have seen a post war photo of Rippentrop's SS black leather overcoat with silver/white leather lapels that I assume was orignal. At the time it was in a US collection. I have also seen a photo of Himmler wearing one of the same type.

I think that maybe 25 years ago I saw in a collection a Heer general's leather overcoat with red leather lapels...I'm sure if my memory is correct on this so don't take it to the bank.

Comment

ive seen the leather himmler too its also illustrated in osprey although i know there not always right but ive also seen photos.

Comment

I thought I had seen photos of the colored facings, in photos of collections. My memory fails me, now, and I would surely love to see one, in hand.

I do recall the Himmler photo, but cannot find which book contained that photo.

I believe Bob Coleman has Sepp Dietrich's leather greatcoat.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X