AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who think they've seen it all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out this period image (tagged by the owner a WAF member from Estland) but I'm borrowing it as it is a great uniform study picture!
    These are obviously Estonian troops (Heer + LW)
    So what's special about it?
    Who can spot it?
    Attached Files

close up

Besides the Estonian made (elongated) "Tartu" pattern metal SS cap skull check out the "breast eagle"!!
    Heer shoulderboards, collar lacking litzen... this is obviously a 5 button SS tunic that's been stripped and "converted" to resemble Heer !
    WOW!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Mutants !

Comment

Nice pic...just goes to show. I wouldnt buy it! post war tampered...lol

Comment

Originally posted by LDR View Post
          Nice pic...just goes to show. I wouldnt buy it! post war tampered...lol

Would love to see the reactions this tunic would bring if it were to ever surface.

Comment

The man just visible behind the machine gun also has a strange shield on his arm, which I can't recognise.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent S. View Post
              The man just visible behind the machine gun also has a strange shield on his arm, which I can't recognise.
              Its the Estonian "Police pattern" sleeve shield with the 3 lions. The other plain tri-color shield was more common in the Wehrmacht. This fellow has dark, almost black looking SS shoulder straps...but could be dark green also... who knows... a rag tag bunch...
              These are all Estonian troops and the site that covers these troops can be viewed at the web address on the 1st image, which covers these troops! A free plug for the owner of this awesome image, also a WAF member! Worth visiting!

The soldier is obviously an Estonian Waffen SS volunteer who for some reason ended up in an Estonian mixed LW-Heer battle group and adjusted some of his insignia to blend in better...My theory at least! or perhaps he thought the Russians killed all captured SS so he made some modifications? Who knows? The field gray shoulder boards are the most significant sign of his new affiliation!
              Last edited by NickG; 08-15-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                this is obviously a 5 button SS tunic that's been stripped and "converted" to resemble Heer !
                WOW!
                It's a Heer m40 tunic

Comment

Wonderful picture! We've been seeing more of these surface over the years which further support the fact that strict field uniform standardization was not adhered to; especially as the war aged and materials became scarce.

To me the most interesting aspect of this picture is the motley array of branches - which comprised of many of the late SS units... interesting to see the SVT 40 rifles in the background.

I recently purchased a salty NCO tropical Luftwaffe tunic with a tropical triangular breast eagle... a few years ago I wouldn't have touched it.

Thanks for sharing!...

Asper

Comment

Originally posted by Hardigan View Post
                    It's a Heer m40 tunic
                    What makes it Heer You think? Is it because of the pleated pockets in combination with a field gray collar? Possible with SS as well if I'm not mistaken and why bother removing the factory applied Heer litzen than? why replace the Heer breast eagle with an SS one... Strange!
                    The SS wore their Estonian shields most of the time on the left sleeve, Heer on the right sleeve...This is the only soldier not wearing an Estonian sleeve shield on the right sleeve Heer "position"... So my hunch is that he left it on the left sleeve in the "SS position"... did not bother moving it over, but he did move his SS arms eagle to the Heer position and removed the SS collar tabs in the process. The picture dates from 1944 time span and its clearly a 5 button tunic (unlike the other depicted 6 button Heer tunics) just a theory...still I don't know...its an odd combination...that's for sure!
                    Last edited by NickG; 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM.

Comment

That picture is from a series of pictures of Estnische SS-Grenzschutz Regiment nr. 1, 1st battalion (at least most of them). Spring/summer 1944 at lake Pihkva. The rest of the pictures http://www.wehrmacht.pri.ee/fotod/piirik/piirik.html

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                        What makes it Heer You think? Is it because of the pleated pockets in combination with a field gray collar? Possible with SS as well if I'm not mistaken and why bother removing the factory applied Heer litzen than? why replace the Heer breast eagle with an SS one... Strange!
                        The SS wore their Estonian shields most of the time on the left sleeve, Heer on the right sleeve...This is the only soldier not wearing an Estonian sleeve shield on the right sleeve Heer "position"... So my hunch is that he left it on the left sleeve in the "SS position"... did not bother moving it over, but he did move his SS arms eagle to the Heer position and removed the SS collar tabs in the process. The picture dates from 1944 time span and its clearly a 5 button tunic (unlike the other depicted 6 button Heer tunics) just a theory...still I don't know...its an odd combination...that's for sure!
                        This is a standard Heer M40 tunic (pleated pockets, 5 buttons) with ss-eagle and it makes no difference if it had a d.green collar.
                        Interesting photo BTW

Comment

This is a standard Heer M40 tunic (pleated pockets, 5 buttons) with ss-eagle and it makes no difference if it had a d.green collar.
                          Interesting photo BTW
                          double post

Comment

Interesting photo BTW
                            I respect your opinion Hardigan but and don't see the proof or logic...
                            There is no logical explanation for it...

So my vote is still converted SS, his original unit, based on the points I've made...
                            (1) arm shield..lack of...not on the right sleeve (so left = SS)
                            (2) 5 button tunic worn late war (SS pattern)
                            (3) SS cap (his original affiliation)
                            (4) lack of factory applied Heer litzen, indicative of SS tabs being removed

Perhaps he got transferred from the Estonian SS to this "static" (home guard/grenz-schutz) unit because of wounds and modified his uniform...
                            I'm sticking with that theory. Why modify a Heer uniform with factory applied insignia? \
                            Just does not make sense to me!

ANY OTHER OPINIONS WHY?
                            Last edited by NickG; 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Great pic Nick - It seems to me that Baltics had the most mixed up insignias ever! Also like the Luft volunteer in the middle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X