Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Plaque

Hi Michael,
    Here are two photos of a similar pattern eagle from the SS-VT section of Angolia’s Cloth Insignia of the SS, 2nd Edition, 1989, page 182. I also believe the plaque to be a modern effort.

Sincerely,

Charles Betz
    Attached Files

Comment

Text

Text to the above picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

SS Eagle Image

Another SS Sports Eagle.
        Attached Files

Comment

Plaque

If I were a prosecuting attorney, I wouldn't have any trouble convincing a jury that this plaque was copied from the book cover. It definitely looks old - if you consider old to be 2 months ago. I'd return this fantasy piece to wherever you got it as quickly as possible, and get your hard-earned money back. If it was from a dealer, I'd hate to see the rest of his stuff. He definitely sold you something here. It's called a "bill of goods".

Comment

Plaque

Smell the front and see if there's any odor from the varnish or whatever is on there. It takes quite a while for this smell to go away. Let us know what the result is. Regardless, I still think it's fantasy, but that may persuade you.

Comment

Hello, and I appreciate everyone's views.

I have no qualms as to leaning towards it being fantasy...as I already have suspected so. Thanks for ideas of where the concept design may have come from, I have seen a period done SS book with soft leather cover with this kind of design in it. So all these designs derive in part from the time but that is beside the point (or a moot point in a court).

I cant complain. There was no dealer malfesance. I bought it as is, with no claims as to it's background.
              Just felt like putting ithis item up to be inspected by the "court" of WAF to let it get grilled on it's merits or lack thereof.

--Thanks ,
              Michael

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                Smell the front and see if there's any odor from the varnish or whatever is on there. It takes quite a while for this smell to go away. Let us know what the result is. Regardless, I still think it's fantasy, but that may persuade you.
                almost forgot , for what its worth, varnish had to have been done years back...just smelled to me of a hint of tobacco, and my kid said it smelled of old books. But again, that is only an inconclusive piece of evidence, which does not have enough sway in the totality of the look,etc.

until further evidence to the contrary I file this piece under well made fantasy piece.

thanks, Michael

Comment

I agree that this looks like nothing from HIAG or the like. Only possible country could be Spain were Swastikas still were used on spanish postwar Iron Crosses. The Swastika looks like a spanish postwar drawout.

jens

Comment

Originally posted by Jens View Post
                    I agree that this looks like nothing from HIAG or the like. Only possible country could be Spain were Swastikas still were used on spanish postwar Iron Crosses. The Swastika looks like a spanish postwar drawout.

jens
                    Hello Jens,
                    I certainly was not aware of a possible Spanish origin, nor that they kept the swaz postwar.
                    thanks for the advice,
                    Michael

Comment

bikers wouldnt use the waffen part unless there is a waffen biker group. they would have thier biker group name in it. I know there is the LAH book out there that used the eagle for the front cover (from the period) its a black book with white drawing. i almost want to say i saw it on a previos thread.

never knew about the spanish, that is very interesting. i have seen this piece, and i thought the carving was interesting i honestly couldnt tell you on way or another on it.

if i can find the grouping with the book ill post the link

found it
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=group scroll 1/2 way down

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X