Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS veteran or HIAG plaque?

Hello all,
    I dont feel too sure of this item. I feel it is doubtful it is WWII era.Could it be HIAG or some other SS vet group plaque? There is paint touchups on the thing but that is obvoius in pictures and means little as to what it is.
    Any help is welcome. Of course I would be happy with it being SS vet related.
    thanks, Michael
    Attached Files

plaque

2 pix
    Attached Files

Comment

plaque

3 pix
      Attached Files

Comment

plaque

4 pix
        Attached Files

Comment

plaque

5th pix
          Attached Files

Comment

plaque

6th

paint touch ups
            Attached Files

Comment

plaque

7th
              more paint touchups
              Attached Files

Comment

plaque

8th
                some nice carving on sides, etc. It is well done whatever it is.
                Attached Files

Comment

plaque

9th
                  the back
                  Attached Files

Comment

last plaque

last shot
                    back closeup
                    Attached Files

Comment

certainly nicely done, hope its ss related for you , but could also be fantasy peice, where you get this /?

Comment

Originally posted by outcast View Post
                        certainly nicely done, hope its ss related for you , but could also be fantasy peice, where you get this /?
                        I got it from a dealer a while back , who was honest and not willing to claim anything about it and basically told me exactly what I have said on the thread already.
                        He did say he got it as part of an old American collection. At the time, I was in admiration of its good carvings and figured an SS vets organization. But now, I really dont know anymore.
                        So I am putting it up to get critiqued by anyone.

Comment

The carving is very well done. But I don't know if you could ever say with any certainty that the item was SS veteran related or just made for a biker, neo-Nazi or collector long ago. The oversized swastika and poorly rendered Iron Cross make me think this was made in the USA. There is no way to be sure, my gut is telling me the chances of this being SS veteran related are slim.

Comment

I have seveal pieces of Waffen SS Veteran plates and steins. None of them feature the swastica. They were aware of the problems it would bring to display them. Even the table flags of eht OdR, Afrika Korps and Kriegsmarine that I have are minus the swastica in any form. I have seen post war carved Narvik shields from the Mountain Divisions Veterans Organizations and they too are swastica less. Nice plaque though.

Comment

It looks like it is modeled after this book cover.

I suspect that it is modern. If it were period, it probably would have been made for a particular group and not just the "Waffen SS".

That plus the EK and swastika don't look quite right and there should be a "-" in "Waffen-SS"
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X