Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Schiffchen opinion

Hallo community,

I've been a 'reader' on this forum for a while, but now it is time for my first post.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this SS Schiffchen I recently purchased.

Thanks a lot,
    Dolm_be

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the insignias are primitive reproductions.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! I agree with Mike, bad insignia and looks like sloppily applied. Sorry Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
        Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the insignias are primitive reproductions.
        The eagle is a good belgish made one IMO, rest is bad.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

As I've said before: orginal eagle, the rest is crap

Kind regards,
          Gerd V

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
            The eagle is a good belgish made one IMO, rest is bad.

Cheers

Fritz
            Good catch. My bad!

Comment

Okay, thanks all!

Comment

that eagle is worth money!

Not exactly a match (compare with mine) but perhaps a good eagle still!
                These Belgium made SS eagles are sometimes referred to as "Reitz" (Antwerp) eagles but they're from a different town actually. I believe Leopoldsburg... also in Belgium.
                Here's mine! I've shown it before but for comparison sake (and for newer WAF members) here it is (again)!
                Attached Files

Comment

compare

compare
                  Attached Files

Comment

and Mine again

and mine again... Note typical thick neck on these belgium made eagles!
                    Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion the initial eagle and the eagle on yours cuf off Nick are matching. The top eagle is an original Reitz IMO. Minor stretching and angles might be the cause of some imaginative differences.

Comment

NO!!!
                        They are not 'Reitz eagles' and were never made there. they are 'Belgian' or 'Flemish made' eagles and they were made near a town called Aalst; not Leopoldsburg.

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                        These Belgium made SS eagles are sometimes referred to as "Reitz" (Antwerp) eagles but they're from a different town actually. I believe Leopoldsburg

Comment

Originally posted by willysproject View Post
                          NO!!!
                          They are not 'Reitz eagles' and were never made there. they are 'Belgian' or 'Flemish made' eagles and they were made near a town called Aalst; not Leopoldsburg.

OK made in Aalst it is , but sold through the "kantine" (PX store ) of the Leopoldsburg barracks...(neighboring military camp "Beverloo")
                          At least that's what I read....so often referred to as "Leopoldsburg" eagles... The 12th SS "Hitler-Jugend" Division trained there (Beverloo training grounds) prior to deployment to Normandy, that's why Belgian made 12th SS cuff titles also exist. Obviously another "PX" item, which was offered locally to soldiers passing though.
                          Here's a pre-war image of the place with Belgium troops...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NickG; 08-15-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

here it is again, the full story !

These Belgian made insignia were made by textile factories.
                            During the war years the textile capital of Belgium was Aalst, many of the police insignia, firemen insigina, carnaval (!) insignia, name tags etc were made by several factories in Aalst.
                            The German army ordered large amounts of insignia, as did the collaboration organisations.
                            Since Leopoldsburg was occupied by German troops, they also used the "mil shop" there. Just as the Belgian army did before the war and the allied troops did after the war.
                            Many of the "leftovers" were kept in the Milshop warehouse till long after the war. German shoe polish, tooth paste, razors, etc were still available in the 1950ies !

Some early militaria dealer managed to get his hands on the stockpiles and sold them in his shop near the Brussels Hallepoort.
                            When asked where he got these insignia from, he answered : "Leopoldsburg"

As there were many insignia available and since the production differed somewhat from the more documented BeVo types, many collectors assumed these insignia were fake.
                            Therefor many of them were sold at ridiculously low prices.
                            And therefor there was no need to copy them !!

In the 1990ies when I first started my research on the uniforms and insignia produced out of the borders of the Reich, the Reitz Uniformwerke became known by the collectors' community.

many ( mainly US) collectors, made the link between these "odd insignia" and the Reitz factory and started calling them Reitz eagles.

but Reitz was a uniform factory, they didn't have the weaving machines to weave their own insignia. They bought them from local manufacturers or from the well known lager German companies. The only insignia they made themselves, were the ones you can make from leftovers from the uniform cloth : shoulder boards.

So now once and for all
                            E. Reitz Uniformwerke : MADE NO INSIGNIA
                            Leopoldsburg : town where the Mil Shop was where stockpiles of BELGIAN MADE insignia were found by early militaria dealers
                            Porte de Hal / Hallepoort : location where this dealer was that first started off selling these insignia
                            Aalst : the town where these insignia were produced
                            N***: the factory that most likely made them, but the investigation into this matter is ongoing.

And finally
                            you should compare the eagle on the cap in question very carefully with the known original examples. For some reason I see differences that I don't like. It could be the angle of the pictures...

On my website you have some laid out original examples.

Werner
                            Last edited by werner p.; 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM.
                            Interested in all E. Reitz Uniformwerke items.

Comment

Agreed Werner!
                              I remember the Hallepoort dealer...an old man, his shop was near the old watch tower in Brussels (late 70's, early 80's when I lived in Brussels).
                              I bought a LW pilot/observer badge from him for something like 1000 Franks! The good old days! Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X