OPINIONS on SS EAGLE and CAP Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPINIONS on SS EAGLE and CAP Insignia

Opinions please as whether these are the real thing and what exactly the cap insignia is? They have a very interesting story,

Thanks, Dylan
    Attached Files

Hi Dylan;

The one eagle is not an SS eagle. It is a panzer eagle.
    Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Hi Trotlin!

Please, let me hear the story!

Comment

re

Originally posted by trotlin13
        Opinions please as whether these are the real thing and what exactly the cap insignia is? They have a very interesting story,

Thanks, Dylan

Hello TRotline13
        I,m also very interested in the story

just what Tony said this cap-eagle is a panzer one
        there are picture,s of ss-man wearing them instead of the regular ss-insigna both cap and sleeve eagle,s

buth this one is unissiued so IMO this can,t be with the one your showing

Greeting,s johnny
        sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Let me preface my narrative by saying that this story is both incredulous and speculative. A friend of mine is a history professor of some prominence who has written several books dealing with Hitler's Germany. Since 1979, he has interviewed several key figures of the Third Reich for his various books and articles. He tells me that he interviewed Leon Degrelle on three different occasions. As most of you know, Degrelle was an ardent nazi, but apparently enjoyed to give interviews about his life and the war. What he didnt like, was being duped into an interview that later portrayed him as unsympathetic. The story goes that upon concluding his interview with Degrelle, this individual allowed Degrelle to review the transcript and make his editorial changes and comments. Allegedly, this made Degrelle very happy and as a token of his appreciation gave this person the eagle and panzer cap insignia.

Now, this individual gave me the eagle and cap insignia free of charge for helping him review some legal documents involving his latest book. He has not made any money from me in anyway. I read his interviews with Degrelle so know this side of the story to be true. I know he befriended many Third Reich personalities b/c of his willingness to allow them to edit thier copy. Of final note, this professor is a student of history and not historia. He really has no interest in militaria per se. I trust him to be honest and see no reason why he would fabricate this story, but I have been wrong before. Thats the story.

Dylan

Comment

Dylan,I'm sure no-one is doubting your story but as Tony says one of the eagles is a BeVo panzer cap eagle while the other is the late style embroidered sleeve eagle found in abundance at the Dachau clothing depot when the camp was liberated,I've given up trying to tell whether they're real after the recent 'cheesecloth' backed one but no doubt someone will tell you either way.The thing which makes me sceptical is how many of these things was Degrelle able to carry into exile with him ? Did he have a ready supply of items to give out if he liked the interviewer,on later photos of him he was still dolled up in full uniform and regalia,sometimes quite absurdly so,almost becoming a charicature.My suggestion would be to try and acquire a letter from the prof. stating the story and a photo of you the prof and the eagles,frame them together to establish a provenance for the future.
            Just my thoughts,
            Ian Hulley

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X