CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm in the wrong job.....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is sad that the auctioneers allow things that should be weeded out.

If you have ever tried to read through all the rules and regulations, on any auction site, it appears they are responsible for nothing but selling and transferring the monies, after all applicable commissions, to the former owners. Such blanket indemnification seems to be unique to auctions.

Bob hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Stunning camo cap Bob !

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
        Stunning camo cap Bob !
        mind-blower. there are - what? - just 4-5 of these known? I think dave delich has or had one? hopelessly, ridiculously rare.

thanks for showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
          It is sad that the auctioneers allow things that should be weeded out.

If you have ever tried to read through all the rules and regulations, on any auction site, it appears they are responsible for nothing but selling and transferring the monies, after all applicable commissions, to the former owners. Such blanket indemnification seems to be unique to auctions.

Bob hritz
          Bob,

Then you will have to close most the major auction houses. Despite whatever they say in the sales catalog it's nearly impossible to return something. While there are some exceptions, it's rare. Check the terms in Heritage auctions Civil War sales. basically all sales final , if you can prove something is bad and they agree , they may refund up to $500.00 if they choose to. Even if you spent 20k!

The terms have almost always been with European sales "let the buyer beware". It is wrong to think of an auction house as anything other then a fast clearing house for goods. If they know you and you are a good buyer, act quickly, there is a slim chance they might take it back.Always best to pay on credit card. However, if you dispute a payment you may never be able to bid there again and maybe a few other places if they exchange data on troublemakers.

Comment

I've seen more fake SS General's uniforms advertised at Hermann Historica than just about any place else, including two from Hermann Fegelein. I wouldn't trust them any more than I would trust Manion's.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob
              I have just seen your camouflage cap with the cammo patches .
              This is a stunning example .
              Would it be to much trouble if you cound post more pix ???
              PLEASE.
              I posted my example under the title Camouflage cap and helmet cover .
              If you want to look at mine .
              All the best
              owen

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
                I've seen more fake SS General's uniforms advertised at Hermann Historica than just about any place else, including two from Hermann Fegelein. I wouldn't trust them any more than I would trust Manion's.

Bob
                Bob,

I agree but they do get nice things also ( I don't follow Manions). Like any auction house it is up to the buyer to ascertain what is good. Most staff in auction houses are not very knowledgeable , if they were they wouldn't have to work there, they'd be in business for themselves. This can also work toward a collectors advantage from time to time also. I have bought many great items that were misdescribed in the most prestigious auction houses.

Look at Julias highlights for their upcoming firearms sale where they picture "Fabulous Brown Bess Musket" in pristine condition. It's in great condition because it's one of the Italian reproductions imported about 30 years ago. You'd think a major auction house gun expert would be able to spot a brand new repro gun wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                  I should be a militaria seller.

This thing got 4600 (yes, that's four thousand, six hundred) Euros in a recent auction in Germany.

My theory is a lot of these valued relics (for us dedicated collectors who seek answers they are obvious reproductions) end up in “secret collections” to very wealthy men, who are loaded with cash. They have made good investments, have good jobs and high incomes. And deep inside they carry the childhood fantasy of good vs. evil (like cowboys vs. Indians, GIs vs. Germans etc). And now they are in the position where they can buy items “someone” telling them is WWII genuine. They buy expensive art and expensive vine, but they also want to own something that is a little bit cruel, a little bit "forbidden". They hide the items away and after good dinners (with just as wealthy business partners) where they have been drinking vine, cognac and smoking cigars, and after discussing politics from ancient time and up to today, they fish out their relics. It might be an "1100 ad sword from the crusade", "a bullet fired by Custer during the Civil War" or “a very rare SS cap found in Hitler’s bunker in Berlin after the war”.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X