SS Sleeve Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Sleeve Eagle

Looking for a little help with these sleeve eagles. A member has them for sale and has given me permission to post them and get some other opinions. I have checked all the previous threads and a couple of dealer sites to compare these eagles. I could find none that matched them and was hopeing that some of the more experienced collectors could help. The two areas that I found different were the eagle's left wing has more of a gap between the feathers and the back has cheesecloth reinforcement. Are these variations acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Phil
    Attached Files

Here is the back side.
    Attached Files

Comment

Eagle

I for one dont personally dont like the eagle shown because as you say of the gap and the cheese cloth backing. Also the construction of a the swastika and the circle looks a bit weak, I would expect to see a much more stronger design. David

Comment

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
        I for one dont personally dont like the eagle shown because as you say of the gap and the cheese cloth backing. Also the construction of a the swastika and the circle looks a bit weak, I would expect to see a much more stronger design. David
        Both are copies. Design and construction are the flaws which David has pointed out.

Comment

sleeve eagles

The eagles in question are mine. David and Dan, I respectfully disagree with you.

I believe that they are in fact original examples of late war Dachau eagles. They came from an antique picker with some other insignia that was unquestionably original. The cheesecloth backing I had not seen on other eagles, but since the other items were good, I thought they were ok.

The gap mentioned on the examples above is not as pronounced on another example I have from the same lot (see attached).

The swastikas on the later war eagles are not as precisely constructed as those on earlier examples. This can be seen on some other sleeve eagle threads.

Regards,

Fred

Comment

back

Comment

ss sleeve eagle

For whatever it is worth , I have vet aquired a couple of these over the years, they are original.

Comment

Fred,
                Thanks for posting better detailed photo's of the eagles.

I see nothing wrong with these eagles, I also have examples like this in my collection
                cheers,
                Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood
                  Fred,
                  Thanks for posting better detailed photo's of the eagles.

I see nothing wrong with these eagles, I also have examples like this in my collection
                  cheers,
                  Gary
                  Hi Fldjr,
                  I am the first to back track if needed and wouldn't want to rubbish an original item. If Gary says they are OK then the buyer can have peace of mind.
                  Dan

Comment

Sleeve eagles......

Well ....... I too have to stand corrected, and a little stunned. I have seen these eagles in the past and have let them go for the same reasons I have stated above. I am still not keen. I'll aplogise to the owner as no harm was meant, it was just my opinion, we live and learn. David

Comment

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
                      Well ....... I too have to stand corrected, and a little stunned. I have seen these eagles in the past and have let them go for the same reasons I have stated above. I am still not keen. I'll aplogise to the owner as no harm was meant, it was just my opinion, we live and learn. David
                      I know what you mean David. I have seen these at UK fairs and quickly passed them by having heard too many "late war Dachau" finds as it is.
                      They are always cheaper than what I would look to pay for text book stuff but will certainly be paying them more attention to them in the future.
                      Dan

Comment

I have always thought items backed with cheesecloth were generally not correct but have learned something new.

Does Bob Hritz have an opinion on these?

I did once examine a cheesecloth example SS eagle which I blacklighted and the reverse did glow..it was being sold by a source that had good and bad items for sale. I know some people frown upon the use of a blacklight though. I would be curious how the reverse of these eagles reacts to a pass with a UV light.

John

Comment

Hello John,

They don’t glow. Other than the backing, were there any other problems with the one you examined? (quality of embroidery, shape of eagle, etc.)

I will ask Bob to weigh in.

Regards,

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fldjr
                            Hello John,

They don’t glow. Other than the backing, were there any other problems with the one you examined? (quality of embroidery, shape of eagle, etc.)

I will ask Bob to weigh in.

Regards,

Fred
                            hi Fred, now that I think of it, I may have bought that piece, or another one that was similiar, as it was through the mail, I put it in a box somewhere and will try to find it and post pictures, John

Comment

I really have no problem with the birds myself either and wouldn't wince on buying one at the right price.
                              Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X