• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uniform restoration question

Hi guy's,

I have a question I have bought a what I believe wehrmacht officers jacket
    with green collar.

There is no traces of any eagle on the breast or arm neither the collar.
    Would it be possible to put SS insignia on the uniform or are there significant differences? The jacket has 6 buttons but I understood SS jackets had only 5??

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Eric

Originally posted by ww2collector View Post
    Hi guy's,

I have a question I have bought a what I believe wehrmacht officers jacket
    with green collar.

There is no traces of any eagle on the breast or arm neither the collar.
    Would it be possible to put SS insignia on the uniform or are there significant differences? The jacket has 6 buttons but I understood SS jackets had only 5??

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Eric
    A lot of SS private made/purshased officer's tunics had 6 buttons, I would say that this was the norm after mid 1941 and became more and more the standard config for those types tunics made after that date. Some SS officer tunics had 7 buttons (Dutch conversion officer and EM) and some old styles had 8.

The point is that button number on officer tunics in not a real factor in determing what is original or not as everything from 4 to 8 can be found in period photos.

The 5 button EM contract/issue tunics made by and for the SS is a different matter. IMO the 5 button config was simply the spec. for the manufacturing and not so much a "regulation" on what was allowed to be actually worn and used.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

I will just go ahead and restore the tunic with original insignia although there has no eagle been attached to the tunicIt w
      Will be my new project

Thanks
      Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,444 at 01:59 PM on Today.

Working...
      X