Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird ss cap

Hi guys,

Is it normal to see tk button with an eagle above it? The photo is 100% period...

Thanks
    Giel
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
    Hi guys,

Is it normal to see tk button with an eagle above it? The photo is 100% period...

Thanks
    Giel
    its not normal

Comment

Thank you for you dry response, but does this stand for some kind of unit? Is it a late war put together?
      Kind regards,
      Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
        Thank you for you dry response, but does this stand for some kind of unit? Is it a late war put together?
        well its hard to say,this cap imo is a wh sidecap with a bevo eagle and VT cap totenkopf,but it can be a pre war VT cap but original is with another eagle on left side

Comment

I have seen numerous period photos of caps like this in wear, unusual yes, but worn none the less.

Chuck

Comment

Ok, thank you for your help besslein and Chuck
            Kind regards,
            Giel

Comment

I too have seen pics with the SS VT button and bevo eagle being used on the same application. I recall a skull button being used in place of a pebble one on a M43 cap with bevo eagle.

With the sartouche on the cap, I tend to think this is more a mid-war shot than a late war.

Great portrait by the way.

Regards, fischer

Comment

Originally posted by fischer View Post
                I too have seen pics with the SS VT button and bevo eagle being used on the same application. I recall a skull button being used in place of a pebble one on a M43 cap with bevo eagle.

With the sartouche on the cap, I tend to think this is more a mid-war shot than a late war.

Great portrait by the way.

Regards, fischer
                Much appreciated Fischer!

This is actually a close up of a portrait
                Kind regards,
                Giel

Comment

overseas cap

Nice photo, Giel, and as has been said, this is not unusual. From the scalloped flaps, it appears this is a WH overseas cap with the an SS eagle replacing the Heer-pattern bird, and the button TK replacing the Heer roundel.

I've seen many pictures of such field-improvised variations, including a photo where the soldier placed a TK skull over the roundel but the roundel was still visible underneath. But its pretty common to see photos of such WH overseas caps with metal SS skulls..the TK button is unusual, but not out of the realm of what was done (see a photo in Squadron's SS Armor for such an adaption).

The most well-known, at least to me, such instance are the many photos of J. Peiper and his WH overseas cap (with pink panzer soutache) with a metal TK affixed where the roundel was, and he retained the Heer pattern eagle.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by billmunny; 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM.
                  "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

Comment

Billmunny you are comparing apples with pears I'm afraid... Your photographic "example" has to do with SS officers (like Peiper) wearing Heer officers pattern caps with added skulls (pinned on top of the Heer cockade), VERY COMMON as early in the war SS officers did not have access to SS pattern officer schiffchen (side caps) and improvised with Heer types...
                    The example that started this thread is an enlisted trooper, that's what makes it more unique, really a different topic...as enlisted SS troops always had access to SS pattern side caps.
                    Its either a Heer cap converted for some reason or (more likely) an SS-VT cap with the later pattern eagle added to the crown. I assume its the latter to give it an updated look. NOT uncommon.
                    Nick
                    Last edited by NickG; 06-06-2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Nick!

You're absolutely right, Nick, this practice was far more common with officer's overseas caps. I didn't intend to confuse EM and officer's overseas caps, and was commenting on the practice in general.
                      "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,307 at 01:56 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X