SS Headgear Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Headgear Test

I hear collectors say all the time that they collect items for the 'History',
    and I'd have to say that I'm no different. But here's a little teaser scenario to test that:

You have a chance to buy only one of the two headgears below.

1) A private-purchase 'SS Generals' visor that remained unsold in a box in the backroom of a capmaker's shop in Koblenz throughout the war. Keep in mind that it is not really an SS Generals cap, it just looks like one. No SS member ever owned it, wore it, saw it, or even knew of it's existence. It never had any connection to the SS at all. It is no more of an SS item than the cardboard box it sits in.

2) A plain-jane no-decal M-40 helmet with no SS markings or name in it. But it was worn through the war by a known SS-mann and has bulletproof provenance. It was with Das Reich in France in 1940, then Stalingrad, Kursk, Italy, Normandy, and Arnheim.

They are offered at $5000 apiece, and as stated, you can only have one. Furthermore, you can not re-sell the piece at a profit.

Which do you take and why?

That's a tough one, I would go with the WSS General's cap. Why? I love the WSS generals cap for the beauty and style.

Comment

An utter no-brainer - go with the history. I would take the M40 helmet in a heartbeat - every time.

Mike

PS. No W-SS units served at Stalingrad.
      Last edited by Mike C; 04-04-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

#2 all the way.

My favorite pieces are not the shiniest, but the ones that can tell the tale of battle in just one look.
        http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Number one for me , why : I'm a visor cap collector and I don't collect items for the History

Comment

#2 - I want to hold a piece that has been there and almost transports you back in time with the wear marks on it, smells and "character".

How about you Brian? What would you choose?

Comment

Usually, I prefer the history -- that is why I look for used items.

But in this case, for $5000, I would go with the SS cap. You can get genuine, used helmets (even with markings) that have been all over the place for a hell of a lot less than $5K. The SS cap is still an SS cap, it was just never used. It is made just like all the other SS caps, by the same people, at the same time, and is still a part of history. And $5K is less than 1/4 the going price of an SS general's cap.

What people say and what they do are sometimes very different things. If everyone really only wants something used in the war, how come the mint Dachau insignia don't sell for 1/4 the price of used SS insignia? Often, they selll for more. And don't tell me it was because a vet liberated it and brought it home.

I bet that almost everyone would be all over the SS cap in a heartbeat.

Comment

is the cap black, white or gray?
                actually, it doesnt matter, ill take the cap please
                in this case you have to wonder how many 100% mint unissued SS generals visors are out there and how many battle worn helmets are out there...
                Edit - and how many chances does one get to buy an original SS generals visor for $5000? didnt one sell at SOS for $40,000? you can buy an awful lot of helmets with that.

Comment

Helmet. No question.

Comment

SS general visor, hands down. Unissued? Ohhhh... I like!

Comment

The SS General's visor for me, no question. It was still period made and probably has that great "old" smell anyway. What could be finer.

Comment

I have so many questions -

1. This part is contradictory. First you say "A private-purchase 'SS Generals' visor" but then you say "Keep in mind that it is not really an SS Generals cap, it just looks like one." Is it an SS Generals visor or not?

2. If it's a private purchase visor, then wouldn't it have been made to order by an SS General? So that would, in theory, negate the part that no-one knew about it (especially the SS General).

3. Does the "yes it is, no it isn't" SS Generals visor have SS insignia on it?

4. Why would a cap maker in in Koblenz keep one of these in stock just on the off chance some high ranking officer will walk in to buy it. It would have to be a private purchase visor, and therefore it would have been ordered by an SS General and that brings us back to point # 2.

So after all that - if it is an unworn, still in the box, SS Generals visor with SS insignia I'll take it - if not the helmet will do........

Comment

I like Tony's point.

I also like the idea of the SS General's cap for $5000, for your own collection who cares if it was owned or not.

The number of near mint caps around with very light wear usage begs the question was the wear created by a vet who liberated the cap in the first place in unused condition, wearing the cap? Not a Jerry
                          Last edited by sturmbannfuhrer; 04-04-2008, 11:59 PM. Reason: expand my point

Comment

The General's Waffen-SS unissued visor all the way!!!

Just so I could rub it in everyones face, not to mention $5000 is a bit much for a Non-named, no decal helmet

But in all honesty, the reason why I would take the visor is because I know although it was not used. It is still very rare and that would be my only chance at owning one. I could always find an ND SS helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyS View Post

2. If it's a private purchase visor, then wouldn't it have been made to order by an SS General? So that would, in theory, negate the part that no-one knew about it (especially the SS General).
                              :
                              damn good point!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X