Opinions on Metal LAH Cyphers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Metal LAH Cyphers

IMO, the cypher shown to the right is the same basic cypher as shown on the front cover of the LAH Bender book. The only differences are the minor variations in the cut out detail areas. I think this detail work was done by hand. This style cypher appears in the book many times on various shoulder boards. Is the cypher real? Is the front cover Bender book cypher real?
    Peter
    Attached Files

Pete, I think you are wasting your time. I have come to the conlusion that there are are no experts on these cyphers. Your opinion is as good or better than anyone else on this forum...Tom

Comment

If you read inside the cover of Bender's book he states that the LAH cipher on the cover is a REPRODUCTION.

Bob

Comment

The LAH Cypher

Bob, I can't thank you enough for your post! I immediately called Rodger James Bender himself. He told me that the LAH cypher on the cover of the book is in his collection. Rodger stated that he acquired it at a local military show in California 40 years ago. He states that the cypher is an original example. He questioned why anyone would think he would put a reproduction cypher on the cover of his book.

Bob, Just out of curiosity, can you tell where in book you saw it stated that the cypher was a reproduction?
        Best Regards, Peter Manzie

Comment

I'll tell you when I get home tonight from work... should be on one of the first pages inside the front cover with something that says ABOUT THE COVER... I used to use that cipher as my piece to compare with but when I found that line inside the book saying it was a reproduction, I about fell over. I'll get back to you later.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
            I'll tell you when I get home tonight from work... should be on one of the first pages inside the front cover with something that says ABOUT THE COVER... I used to use that cipher as my piece to compare with but when I found that line inside the book saying it was a reproduction, I about fell over. I'll get back to you later.

Bob
            Bob, If you do find this statement, it is going to be a shock to me and the author himself.
            Peter

Comment

I have a first edition and I sure can't find it.

Richard

Comment

Statment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post

Richard
                Hi Richard,
                Thanks for looking..... I couldn't find it either. That's what prompted me to call Rodger Bender to find out. I am sure Bob Wirtz will have some explanation for us pretty soon.
                Peter

Comment

Richard
                  The only thing on the inside pages is that no part of this book may be reporduced without the author's permission. Sure don't see anything about the cypher being a reproduction.

As I said before, Pete, there are no good experts on these cyphers - or at least they don't want to share any info if there are...

Tom

Comment

Sorry Gentlemen, I mis-spoke myself. I must be thinking of some other book that did that. There is no statement in the book that the gilt LAH cipher on the cover is a reproduction.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

You should win a lifetime membership here on the forum for being the first collector to admit he made a mistake. Thanks for some genuine honesty.

Richard P

Comment

Peter I like your cypher for what its worth I had one like it years ago an a nicely used strap I found in a box at a swap meet.

Comment

Cypher

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                          Peter I like your cypher for what its worth I had one like it years ago an a nicely used strap I found in a box at a swap meet.
                          Hi John,
                          Thanks for your comment. Did yours have the short guide post pin? Roger Bender was happy to know his cypher did not have a broken pin. I am pretty sure these are considered the early second pattern cyphers. The war years cyphers were a little deeper front to back.
                          Peter

Comment

Bob,

You should win a lifetime membership here on the forum for being the first collector to admit he made a mistake. Thanks for some genuine honesty.

Richard P
                            Thanks Richard... just doing what is RIGHT. I wouldn't want somebody to read my false statement and think badly about Roger Bender. I think he has done a magnificent job over the years publishing books for us collectors.

Bob

Comment

Roger Bender

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
                              Thanks Richard... just doing what is RIGHT. I wouldn't want somebody to read my false statement and think badly about Roger Bender. I think he has done a magnificent job over the years publishing books for us collectors.

Bob
                              Gee Bob, I am glad to hear of your concern for Roger Bender ?, but what about the damage to the reputation of the cypher. If not corrected, a statement like that would forever be repeated and would eventually become gospel. Tousands of dollars worth of perfectly good cyphers would be rendered worthless. Tunics and shoulder boards all over the world would become questionable as well. I am sure similar things have happened to other relics. Anyway, thank you very much for correcting your statement. It inadvertantly helped me to resolve some concerns I was having. Also, I guess you can go back to using the cypher on the cover of Benders book as a guide.
                              Regards, Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X