Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss Skull 499/41

Hello All,

Just Got This One Today And Thought Id Share. A Cupal Skull With A Really Nice Finish. You Can See On The Front Where The Cupal Is Coming Thru.(NOSE EDGE AND RIGHT EYE )

Tom
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice Indeed! Nice score!

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

I just don't like it. It looks cast and has a 'gold' finish like a fake I've seen.
            Maybe it's the pics, though, so I'd like corroboration.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bonini View Post
              I just don't like it. It looks cast and has a 'gold' finish like a fake I've seen.
              Maybe it's the pics, though, so I'd like corroboration.
              I am not sure whether my opinion counts as corroboration, but I certainly like it. In fact, I saw no reason to comment previously, because I felt this one was so straight-forward.

Brad

Comment

It sure does, Brad! In fact that's exactly what I was looking for. Something about the pics just bothered me, that's all. I like the way the pins are inserted, there is definitely a Zimmerman variation like that, although I prefer the diagonally-cut flat brass pins crimped into the skull. The little dimple above the right (viewer's) eye, and the goldy patina both raised my suspicions. Also the poorly formed makers mark. I got a fake years ago from ebay that had these characteristics, although the (round) pins were soldered in a bit differently. It was certainly a casting of this type, with the little orbital circles around the pin holes. I think the seller is a forum member, so maybe he'd have some answers. Anyway, I stand corrected! Thanks guys,

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bonini View Post
                  It sure does, Brad! In fact that's exactly what I was looking for. Something about the pics just bothered me, that's all. I like the way the pins are inserted, there is definitely a Zimmerman variation like that, although I prefer the diagonally-cut flat brass pins crimped into the skull. The little dimple above the right (viewer's) eye, and the goldy patina both raised my suspicions. Also the poorly formed makers mark. I got a fake years ago from ebay that had these characteristics, although the (round) pins were soldered in a bit differently. It was certainly a casting of this type, with the little orbital circles around the pin holes. I think the seller is a forum member, so maybe he'd have some answers. Anyway, I stand corrected! Thanks guys,

Brian
                  Brian,

I am not sue if it comes through well on these photos, but here is another Zimmermann I used to own, which also had a golden patina. This one is the style with the horizontal crimps, rather than the round ("cone") crimps. In this case, I was not sure whether the golden color of the patina, was due to the composition of the finish or the environment in which it had been stored over the years. The cap it came on had a strong tobacco odor, so I had guessed that it had come from the home of a heavy smoker and that nicotine in the air had contributed to the discoloration. However, I have seen other Zimmermann TKs with a similar hue. So, I am inclined to think that Zimmermann simply used a finish at one point which ages in such a way as to give it that color.

Keep in mind that those cones are, in fact, crimps, not just circular settings in which pins were soldered.

Best,
                  Brad

Comment

Better pics?

Comment

Additional Pic

Natural Lighting Pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

Add Pic 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

Add Pic 3
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a pic of mine to compare.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X