SS & Kommander Scotty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS & Kommander Scotty

Anyone here ever bought any SS items from "Traders of the Lost Surplus" owned by "Kommander Scotty?" I found a couple of things I am interested in, but have heard some mixed reviews about his buisness practices. Anyone can offer some insight?

Huh?

You found something on that web site that was pre-45? It all looked like fake junk to me.

Comment

Blackbelt,
      Kdr. Scotty is a character for sure! I've never known him to deal in original WW2 anything!! Most of his reproduction items are made in the far east where his wife has family. I have associates that have sent him original items that he turned around & sent there to have copied. He caters to reenactors and makes a decent living doing that.

He maybe a little "off the wall' but he is trustworthy. I would rate his reproduction stuff on par with items from Reddick.

Sepp

Comment

Originally posted by Josef Hahne View Post
        Blackbelt,
        Kdr. Scotty is a character for sure! I've never known him to deal in original WW2 anything!! Most of his reproduction items are made in the far east where his wife has family. I have associates that have sent him original items that he turned around & sent there to have copied. He caters to reenactors and makes a decent living doing that.

He maybe a little "off the wall' but he is trustworthy. I would rate his reproduction stuff on par with items from Reddick.

Sepp

Thanks guys. I was looking into an M1/24 skull that he emailed me that was an original, but after talking with him on the phone, he was a bit squirly. I have heard some people state they have still never recieved items that they paid for, or that he "never got the check", yet cashed. I think its best that I pass on the skull, the price seemed too good to be true, plus he seems off whack. Thanks for the info guys, I do appreciate it.

Comment

Keine problem! Yes, squirly/off whack. both very accurate descriptions.

Sepp

Comment

I know him quite well,lived not to far from his shop for years and made many a visit to see how the real fakers do things.Scotty gets his hands on some real high end fake items that when they first appear they fool until someone with Brains does the math. I will expand more on this later Im late for a Doctors appointment.

Comment

are his 'tinion uniforms' from the far east as well or just his badges?

Comment

Here is what I know years ago I met him and asked about fake SS insignias. He said he could have anything made if he had a correct image.We photo copied an eagle on one of my tunics and within a few months he had a box full made with UV negative thread in Pakistan.Perfect copies of the one on my tunic. He showed me how they are aged to look real and shared his philosophy of why fakes are better than real because he felt even the biggest dealers were dabbling in them.I got to examine Janke tunics and other uniforms one old Janke officer tunic made way back was quite scary looking and couldve passed as real with correct insignias.Insignias are done in Pakistan,The Phillipines,Europe etc.
                On one visit he had just returned from Europe and the Frundsberg Vet reunion.He has a friend who is an ex-officer from the division and lives here in the U.S. he told me how he met some people with a warehouse full of original and fake materials and things used to make uniforms,he had brought back a few of the "20" marked fake rounder Knights crosses at the time people believed in them. He also bought blades from Reddick and had banners made and honor ring boxes yoiu name it.
                Badges of all qualities from poor to very well made..he leaves the good stuff hidden when at shows.What bothered me and at the time I never said anything because I was and still am a loner collector I dont associate with alot of other collectors..he suggested I buy a hoard of his really good fakes and sell them as real so I could afford the hobby..I never did but I am certain many have and still do..he showed me the work of a guy in Colorado who mastered the art of replicating SS decals to get the metalic look..old beat up helmets were sent to him to "restore". I saw a buyers list with alot of famous names of guys who are considered advanced and realized then why some had the loose cheap minty heer trade badges and insignias so often at thier tables at shows. Anyone can just watch Scotty at a show and see who is buying from him,it used to go un-noticed but not anymore.
                Scotty has been nice to me always and he doesnt spare criticism of the hobbies ridiculous prices and the itelligence and gullibility of collectors.He will sell you Scottland if you panted long enough for it.I dont like it but I also to some extent dont blame him he is a dealer of fakes and advertises that fact he doesnt pretend to be offering authentic items like many do.

Comment

John,

All well put, but he does claim to have authentic pieces. The M1/24 that I was looking for, he offered to me an "original" at his "high price" of 175.00. He also offered me two fakes for 50.00 each, and they were spot on correct! I passed, but if you go to his site, he has a whole section of "authentic" pieces, which are at best questionable. I just got a bad feeling in my gut, and wanted to see from others if that feeling was justified. Seems it is.

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                  Here is what I know years ago I met him and asked about fake SS insignias. He said he could have anything made if he had a correct image.We photo copied an eagle on one of my tunics and within a few months he had a box full made with UV negative thread in Pakistan.Perfect copies of the one on my tunic. He showed me how they are aged to look real and shared his philosophy of why fakes are better than real because he felt even the biggest dealers were dabbling in them.I got to examine Janke tunics and other uniforms one old Janke officer tunic made way back was quite scary looking and couldve passed as real with correct insignias.Insignias are done in Pakistan,The Phillipines,Europe etc.
                  On one visit he had just returned from Europe and the Frundsberg Vet reunion.He has a friend who is an ex-officer from the division and lives here in the U.S. he told me how he met some people with a warehouse full of original and fake materials and things used to make uniforms,he had brought back a few of the "20" marked fake rounder Knights crosses at the time people believed in them. He also bought blades from Reddick and had banners made and honor ring boxes yoiu name it.
                  Badges of all qualities from poor to very well made..he leaves the good stuff hidden when at shows.What bothered me and at the time I never said anything because I was and still am a loner collector I dont associate with alot of other collectors..he suggested I buy a hoard of his really good fakes and sell them as real so I could afford the hobby..I never did but I am certain many have and still do..he showed me the work of a guy in Colorado who mastered the art of replicating SS decals to get the metalic look..old beat up helmets were sent to him to "restore". I saw a buyers list with alot of famous names of guys who are considered advanced and realized then why some had the loose cheap minty heer trade badges and insignias so often at thier tables at shows. Anyone can just watch Scotty at a show and see who is buying from him,it used to go un-noticed but not anymore.
                  Scotty has been nice to me always and he doesnt spare criticism of the hobbies ridiculous prices and the itelligence and gullibility of collectors.He will sell you Scottland if you panted long enough for it.I dont like it but I also to some extent dont blame him he is a dealer of fakes and advertises that fact he doesnt pretend to be offering authentic items like many do.

Comment

If you ask him face to face he will tell you he doesnt know for sure that they are authentic and that as far as he knows they are...however most likely they are higher end fakes and he knows it. I wouldnt buy anything from him unless I collected fake items or was an actor.

Like I said Scottland would be sold if someone drooled enough about it in front of him..look at Cyrus Lee's Soldat books..the cartoons of the guys asking the dealers "Is this real" and the usual answers from these guys in thier heads is "Sure why not, if you want it to be" as they happily take your money.

Sometimes that is the literal answer as I saw a guy ask him once if a badge he had was real and he said "sure,why not" with the tone almost saying if you want it to be it is.He will show you a piece and say its real and watch you go over it with a fine tooth comb..no one ever says out loud "hey this is fake" they usually as a courtesy just hand the item back to him if they realize its fake or they buy it thinking they got a deal.Funny all the experts that go over his badges with a loop and so on..I am certain that other than cheapos most of it is fake.He once pulled out a box of LAH cyphers all dental casts and of decent quality and said they were a discovered bunch of originals. His best EK was a Floch.

In business people are ruthless they want money not friends that is the hardest lesson in this gig.
                    Last edited by John Pic; 03-14-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I don't think that there is anyway that you got an original m1/24 from Scotty. He knows damn well what he is doing and if he even thought he might have something 'good' I'm pretty sure who he would show it to and try to get the value out of it. As far as I know, he is straight forward in that he only sells repros.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                        He said he could have anything made if he had a correct image.We photo copied an eagle on one of my tunics and within a few months he had a box full made with UV negative thread in Pakistan.Perfect copies of the one on my tunic

I believe you. Around 10 years ago I have seen some SS-polizei cufftitles that were virtually perfect – in the RZM 7 strands version

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dalton View Post
                          I don't think that there is anyway that you got an original m1/24 from Scotty. He knows damn well what he is doing and if he even thought he might have something 'good' I'm pretty sure who he would show it to and try to get the value out of it. As far as I know, he is straight forward in that he only sells repros.

I did not say I bought an original m1/24 from Scotty. I said he tried offering me one for 175.00. Obvioulsy the price in this case dictated the intention of trying to pass off a phony piece as authentic. I passed on the skull, not so much because of the price, but because I did not like his attitude. Certainly the price sent warning bells off in my head. A person like this who deals in TR esp SS knows the value of a true M1/24 and would not sell it at such a discount. Either way real or fake, it was his attitude that turned me off the most.

Comment

h

can somebody send me his web site as i sell to reanactors,thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hayleyp View Post
                              can somebody send me his web site as i sell to reanactors,thanks
                              Good luck............................

http://www.totls.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X