X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fjcollector View Post
    a very nice and very original cover!
    what did the one guy not like about it?
    I contacted my friend Lorenz about this cover & he liked it very much & gave the same opinion as Norge (late war construction & materials). I respect & trust his opinion since he is my friend & has one of the most outstanding collections of SS camouflage clothing ever assembled! My other friend is also very knowledgeable about SS camo but his answer was a bit cryptic. He told me to be careful with this cover. I'm not sure if it was because of the repairs or the variant front flap.

I like the repairs! There is a larger one at the top where the damaged material was neatly cut out and a rectangular patch of oak material was machine sewn in with brown thread. The same brown thread also repaired a smaller area that also has a patch covering the ragged hole & has the more common method of German repair. It has numerous multi-directional machine stitching criss crossing the repair. There is also a the same brown thread that was used as a reenforcement of the top rear spring anchor attachment point. This cover was most likely used, damaged, repaired, & reissued.

I like my combat items to be salty. A friend (Foamspoon) had a real salty Waffen-SS cover that was faded & worn with a Heer splinter camo repair. I loved that cover but sadly I did not have the funds available when he listed it for sale.

I'm glad I have gotten a lot of very favorable opinions on this cover! Thank you to all that took the time to post on it!

It will be a very nice addition to my combat SS helmet collection!

Sepp

Comment

Originally posted by Fsoq View Post
      I also like it but I would like to have more info about the thread between foliage loops (seen on #5,6,8). I only saw this type of feature on a helmet cover in plane model camo. Is it common to a factory ? Produced during the whole war or only late in the war ? Thanks for any info, Pierre
      Pierre,
      Not sure. The stitching between the foliage loops (running perpendicular to them) is the same color thread that was used to construct the cover. One of the stitch lines, in this area, has more stitches per inch than the others

As a late war cover, I would have expected that the clips & hooks would have made of steel but these are anodized aluminum. It seems to be a mix match of materials (aluminum clips) & manufacturing techniques.

Sepp

Comment

I agree fully with Lorenz and Norge, from the pictures it looks good.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Kameraden,
          Thank you one and all for your very positive opinions on this piece!! All the "big guns" of the Waffen-SS camo collecting community have weighed in on my Helmbedeckung and have given it a huge !!

I am very happy to add it to my collection! Thank you all for your assistance with it!

Sepp

Comment

as last nice one

Comment

I.T. is my dream and one BAP in gold.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,149 at 01:51 PM on Today.

Working...
              X