Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handschar cuff band,,,,do they exist?

Your collective knowledge sought.....

It's my understanding that a cuff title for the 13th SS Handschar was authorized, perhaps even manufactured, but had they been approved for wear, were they issued?

I've have seen no photos of such a title in wear nor have a seen an example, until recently. I did not get a look at the back, though I can describe the front (sorry no pics.) The band itself was roughly the same color & of the same material as a Feldherrnhalle title. Both borders were 7 strand flatwire, the lettering in Latin script embroidered in white thread. Simply put, it was convincing, but of no consequence if a fantasy!

Lets hear some discussion on this one if you will .

Thanks, Vince

Hi Vincent;

To my knowledge there has not yet been an original Handschar band discovered which would lead me to believe that after all this time they most likely don't exist. All the ones that I have seen have been very poorly constructed RZM types which were obvious fakes. There have been attempts to reproduce flatwire type bands but they are so poorly executed that they are easily detectable. It would be most interesting if you could post a photo of this band that you had a chance to view.
    Best regards,

Tony

Comment

In an older post one of our members stated that he spoke to a curator in a Zagreb museum and that they have one in their collection and that it is real, probably locally made...I do not know if the piece in the museum is real as no pictures have been posted and I have not seen Seppl post in a while...how are you doing Josef?

John

Comment

Handschar

Last edited by pete; 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete;

Very interesting story and welcome to the forum.
          Best regards,

Tony

Comment

4th Reich/Handschar Cuff title

Last edited by pete; 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I think these units were eventually disbanded and ordered to leave the country by the Croatian Government, at about the time these articles were written. The modern Croatian government did not wish to be seen as a "fascist" state and the "fascist" symbol of the Croatian checkerboard shield mentioned has been around long before there even was fascism...so to call it a fascist symbol would it stands to reason therefore be incorrect...in fact the same symbol was used...with the colors red/white on the shield reversed during the Communist era, although the law stipulated that it had to be used only in conjunction with the Communist red star as to display the shield alone would represent Croatian nationalism. What actually was a fascist symbol that was used was when during WW2 the Croatian Ustasa combined the Ustasa "U" with the checkerboard shield...but alone the checkerboard is not a fascist symbol but rather an old Croatian nationalistic symbol.

John

Comment

Yes they were disbanded but by the UN

Last edited by pete; 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I have the pleasure of knowing a handschar vet who stayed on in England.

In my numerous chats with him he confirmed no cuffband was seen by him although it was discussed and wanted as they saw it as the mark of a "real" SS man. He also stated that most of the fezs he saw worn had no SS insignia!

Comment

Here's a photocopy of his silver wound badge doc, I have blocked out his name for obvious reasons. He has lived in fear post war and believed many of his friends were murdered.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Happier times!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Shield worn by Handschar.Note straight sides unlike the Army Croat legion version.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Handschar/Ustasa massacre at Bleiburg

Last edited by pete; 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X