X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge cloth backing on Dachau type collar tabs

Hi all,

Not an ordinary question:
    Here I have 2 Dachau type collar tabs but one (the left) with a different type of black backing material. The common material on the right tab is named 'badge cloth' in English, but I would like to ask if the English language knows a word for the other type of black backing used on the left tab... So far I learned that the material on the left tab is the same type of wool material used on the late war Dachau black M43 panzer caps with Pirate trap insignia. So, would it be correct to name it a tab with wool backing?

Kind regards,
    Gerd V
    Attached Files

There are all wool...but if you have the very soft to the touch backing like typicaly found on the tabs ...I call it "Moleskin". Some collectors call it "Doeskin". I find the doeskin to have a slightly longer nap. Doeskin is what caps are often constructed from.

Comment

Wool

The left tab does resemble the SS Panzer Dachau M-43 material that I would describe as a "coarse" weave, where the weave is noticable.
      The right tab looks like typical period German insignia wool like early SA and SS tabs. The "doeskin" tabs I've seen were late SA tabs and SS Totenkopf tabs. They feel almost like velvet. You can see the weave, but it's VERY fine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X